TB 52.0.1: severe typing lag editing emails

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
spinlock1315

TB 52.0.1: severe typing lag editing emails

Post by spinlock1315 »

First, I literally have no PlugIns or Extensions installed, system is 3 GHz 8core-i7 with plenty of RAM, system drive is SSD. Furthermore, no other app or system component acts this way, so, I am 99.99999999% certain it is not a hardware or other software issue.

OS is WIn7 Ultimate with all current updates.

When I am typing an email, intermittent the display will freeze and stop displaying new characters. I can get 6-7-8 characters ahead, when suddenly it refreshes and is caught. The frequency and severity of the lag varies. The most recent episode was ridiculous. I was at the end of a long line, when I wanted to change a word in middle. I hit and held left-arrow and nothing for 6-ish seconds, then it move 1 space, then nothing again. finally it shot across a bunch, I hit left-arrow again and started counting, it was SEVENTEEN SECONDS BEFORE ANY MOVEMENT!!!

I tried searching, but as soon as you put "lag" in the search criteria, all you get is issues relating to scanning folders or opening stuff.

Except for occasional auto-save, typing should all be to memory at electronic speeds, secondsSSS delay on modern hardware is a bug.

Anyone seen this?

thanks!
tanstaafl

Re: TB 52.0.1: severe typing lag editing emails

Post by tanstaafl »

I'd assume its a problem with your Thunderbird profile. See http://kb.mozillazine.org/Performance_-_Thunderbird . My first thought would be to disable hardware acceleration if its enabled (last bullet in the common problems section) and check there are no places.sqlite-shm and places.sqlite-wal directories in the profile (fifth bullet in the unusual problems section).