Eudora - Thunderbird

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
Rico800

Eudora - Thunderbird

Post by Rico800 »

Hi,

I'm not sure if this is the right page but I wonder if someone can help. I use Eudora and when I try to open certain emails I get this message:

"An error occurred during a connection to t.e2ma.net:443.

Cannot communicate securely with peer: no common encryption algorithm(s).

(Error code: ssl_error_no_cypher_overlap)"

I have two questions: 1) Does this also happen on Thunderbird
and 2) does anyone know how I can resolve this problem.

I am using Windows 10.

Thanks.
DanRaisch

Re: Eudora - Thunderbird

Post by DanRaisch »

Moving to Thunderbird Support as no bug has yet been identified here.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

It can occur with Thunderbird if you modify what ciphers are supported using the security.ssl3 settings so that Thunderbird and the mail server have no common ciphers. Think of it as similar to two people trying to talk who don't have a common language. I suggest you use https://www.ssllabs.com/ssltest/ to test what ciphers your webmail supports. I'd assume the mail server supports the same ones. Then enter security.ssl3 in the search filter for the config editor (tools -> options -> advanced -> general) in Thunderbird and compare them. While the settings name implies its for SSL v3 its actually used for TLS nowadays since SSL is no longer supported (by most browsers) due to the poodle attack.

http://www-archive.mozilla.org/projects ... ithms.html is old but the latest I can find. They don't seem to have updated https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/doc ... ts/NSS/FAQ with a recent list for TLS.

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/tech/softw ... a-sslv3/1/

There are security.tls settings but they don't appear to manage ciphers, they manage what versions of TLS are supported.

You can either double click on a setting to change it or right click on it and choose reset from the context menu to use the default value.
Rico800

Post by Rico800 »

Thanks Tanstaafl, I will try what you have suggested.
Rico800

Post by Rico800 »

Hi Tanstaafl,
Sorry for the delay in replying, just recently had time to study what you sent me. I have checked through what you have suggested but everything seems correct. The problem still continues so I don't know where I can look to try and solve it. I use Chrome as a browser, I'm not sure if the problem is with the browser or the mail program I use which is EUDORA. Any suggestions?

Thanks for your help.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

I don't think Chrome supports customizing what ciphers it can use, so if you have the same problem logging into webmail with Chrome it sounds like a problem with webmail. What did the ssltest site say your email provider supported?
kermet

Post by kermet »

Hi, no reply here so can i jump in ?

I have a similar problem only with some emails and get this

thunderbird and s3.racingjunk.com cannot communicate securely because they have no common encryption algorithms

not only s3.racingjunk.com but other that seem to have lots on info in there email

thunderbird 1.5 (my fav) windows 7

does not matter if FF is open or not

cheers
Brett
karenanne

Post by karenanne »

kermet wrote:Hi, no reply here so can i jump in ?

I have a similar problem only with some emails and get this

thunderbird and s3.racingjunk.com cannot communicate securely because they have no common encryption algorithms

not only s3.racingjunk.com but other that seem to have lots on info in there email

thunderbird 1.5 (my fav) windows 7

does not matter if FF is open or not

cheers
Brett
I'm having the same problem, did you find a solution?
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Rather than resurrect a thread that died over a year ago and refers to a long dead version of Thunderbird, please start a new topic and provide details of your issue, including the version of Thunderbird that you are using and what security software you are running on your computer.

Locking this due to the age of the original posts.