Deal with junk mail.

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
Frejoh466

Deal with junk mail.

Post by Frejoh466 »

So I'm getting lots of spam mail, and I'm trying to find a way to get Thunderbird not to glorify them.

1. Can I remove the "Unread" mark for spam mail? They are spam mail, I don't want to read them. And it's really annoying Thunderbird want me to read them.
2. Can I delete all spam mail after 5min? And not after 1 day?

Or is there an other way too deal with spam?
DanRaisch

Re: Deal with junk mail.

Post by DanRaisch »

Make sure that you have the Junk Mail Controls activated and set up in both locations in Thunderbird.
Frejoh466

Post by Frejoh466 »

That only talked about moving spam to the "junk" folder?

What I want is to make Thunderbird stop telling me to read the spam, eg. the bold text for them, or even better delete them after 1min.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

You didn't read that information closely enough. Look at the "Destination and Retention" section under Tools->Account Settings->Junk Settings. You can mark set Thunderbird to move messages it identifies as Junk to a Junk folder and to delete them after a set number of days. Under menu path Tools->Options->Security->Junk Mail you can set TB to mark messages as Read when it identifies them as Junk.
Frejoh466

Post by Frejoh466 »

Do you mean "Mark messages determined to be junk as read" ? That seems to do nothing, but it is checked. And the spam only gets deleted after a day, I want after a minute.

A screw it, I just set it to delete all junk when mail when received, just deactivate it if I notice mails start to go missing to fix it.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

That system does work but my require resynching the message summary files.
How is the account set up in Thunderbird, as POP or IMAP? Find out using menu path Tools->Account Settings->Server Settings->Server Type at the top right of the dialogue.
Frejoh466

Post by Frejoh466 »

All are IMAP (I have 4 emails accounts, hotmail and gmail).

Also, can I delete junk mail when I receive them? I haven't found that option anywhere.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

That can be done using a Message Filter set up to delete messages newly received to the Inbox that are identified by TB as Junk.

To try to get automatic Junk detection working, try compacting the Inbox folder of each of those accounts.
Frejoh466

Post by Frejoh466 »

I already had compacting on. But Thunderbird is supposed to not highlight spam mail if I checked "Mark messages determined to be junk as read" ?

Also, what I'm I suppose to choose to filter "spam" ? Tag and status does not have the "junk" mark, so I can't choose to delete them.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

The default settings for triggering automatic compacting can be way too high. Changing the amount of space to be saved from 20MB to perhaps 5 can improve things, both in terms of performance AND identification of Junk messages. If your email accounts in Thunderbird are set up as POP type accounts (check that under Tools->Account Settings->Server Settings->Server type) you should consider the following procedure:

First, backup your Profile ( http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_backup )

Create a new sub-folder under Local Folders. Move all of the messages currently in your Inbox to that new subfolder.

Confirm that you have made the recommended backup of your Profile.

Close Thunderbird and navigate to the \Mail sub-folder of your Profile folder. Delete both the file Inbox.msf and the file Inbox with no extension.

Restart Thunderbird and you should find a new, empty Inbox folder in place. Copy any messages you MUST have in your Inbox from the sub-folder created above to the Inbox. Compact the Inbox after those messages are copied in.

Actually a filter would not be necessary to trigger deletion of Junk messages that had been moved to the Junk folder. Just right click on the folder name and select "Empty Junk" from the context menu to remove messages identified as Junk from the account.
Frejoh466

Post by Frejoh466 »

So I don't know what the second suggestion did. I deleted Inbox.msf and the junk folder still highlight the spam mails.

The third suggestion doesn't work as I only have delete, and if I press delete the folder lose it icons and a bunch of no mails shows up and Thunderbird start to load forever until I restart it, then the junk folder is back with the spam mail, in the thrash folder i get a bunch of empty subject, green dot, got it at 1970-01-01 01:00 in location Deleted.

Also, are they ever going to fix the unify folder bugg where every mail get duplicated? Going to an other folder then back fixes that (Thunderbird does not download the mails twice, it just shows them twice). Found this 7 years old from bugzilla https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=624412 so I guess that will never be fixed?
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

I deleted Inbox.msf and the junk folder still highlight the spam mails.
Did you also delete the file Inbox (with no file extension) after moving messages to a sub-folder of Local Folders?
Frejoh466

Post by Frejoh466 »

DanRaisch wrote:
I deleted Inbox.msf and the junk folder still highlight the spam mails.
Did you also delete the file Inbox (with no file extension) after moving messages to a sub-folder of Local Folders?
Yes, also tried to delete the mail folder.