Message Preview In Notification

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
aryandart2001

Message Preview In Notification

Post by aryandart2001 »

MAC OS Sierra
Thunderbird 52.2.1

I am not seeing a Message Preview in the Notifications when new emails arrive. I only see the sender name. I understand there is an option to customise what to see in Preferences > General > When new messages arrive > Customise.

I do not see this Customise option at all. What am i Missing?
LIMPET235

Re: Message Preview In Notification

Post by LIMPET235 »

Moving to Thunderbird Support...
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Do you have "Show an alert" selected in that Preferences->General->"When new messages arrive" dialogue? There must be a check box next to the "Show an alert" before the Customize option is available.
Eckard

Post by Eckard »

aryandart2001 wrote: I do not see this Customise option at all. What am i Missing?
The Windows version of TB has a "Customize" option in Options > General > When new messages arrive > Show an alert.
As long as I can remember back the Mac version of TB (or Mozilla Suite or Netscape before) never had a "Customize" option which allowed to display the sender, the subject or a message preview text.

Version 45 (Mac) still had a the "Show an alert option" but whether it was checked or unchecked made no difference since there were no alerts shown:

In Version 52 (Mac) the "Show an alert" option has been deleted:

In recent macOS versions you can go to System Preferences > Notifications > Thunderbird and enable alerts when new messages arrive in Thunderbird. These alerts would look like this one:

Last edited by Eckard on July 11th, 2017, 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Ah, the dreaded OS specific differences. Sorry for any confusion on the subject and thanks to Eckard for the details of the Mac version.