Address and calendar ics and csv exports improperly formated

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
DocRocks

Address and calendar ics and csv exports improperly formated

Post by DocRocks »

I'm moving Thunderbird and Lightning files to a new computer. Both Thunderbird and Lightning versions are up to date. Both PCs are running Win10. I've exported the addresses and calendar folders in ics and csv format and neither one is accepted in the new TB installation on the other PC. When I opened the csv in the current version of OpenOffice spreadsheet I can see that the dates, times and other data are improperly parsed and empty spaces or extra commas or other stuff is added. Exporting the files as xls retains formatting but imports of files are limited to ics or csv. I've read several threads dealing with import problems but non of their problems are mine. I've got literally hundreds of addresses and a full history of calendar events I need to keep. Could OpenOffice be at fault by deviating from the standard csv format - unlikely but ?? Any suggestions of how to overcome this problem are appreciated.
DanRaisch

Re: Address and calendar ics and csv exports improperly form

Post by DanRaisch »

If you don't have newer data already added to the new system and are transferring only the default address books (Personal Address Book and Collected Addresses) from the old system to the new you don't have to export anything. Just copy two files (abook.mab and history.mab) from the old system and copy them into the profile on the new system, overwriting the same files created during TB's installation.

The same logic should apply to calendar data. Move one file from the old system to the new profile and that should suffice: local.sqlite.
DocRocks

Post by DocRocks »

Thanks, Dan. Just to make sure I understand your statement re the calendar, you do mean a file named local.sqlite - correct?
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Files_and_fol ... hunderbird

local.sqlite is used by Thunderbird to store calendar data. The permissions.sqlite and content-prefs.sqlite files store the permissions for what remote content can be displayed. Lightning also uses that file. cache.sqlite is used by the Lightning add-on if the "Cache" option is enabled in the calendar properties, to provide offline support.

Consider following the instructions in http://kb.mozillazine.org/Move_to_a_new_PC as an alternative to creating a new profile, adding the accounts and moving your addresses and calendars.
DocRocks

Post by DocRocks »

I found the .mab files in the profile folder but don't see a local.sqlite. My calendar is working fine so it must be elsewhere. The Win10 search function only found online references to this file type but not files by that name on my local HDD. From the comments aboe I think I need this fie for the calendar. Where can I find it?
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

Lightning still supports storage.sdb as a alternative to local.sqlite, for backwards compatibility. Did you copy that file instead?