How do I recover a deleted usenet posting ?

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
JohnBrennand

How do I recover a deleted usenet posting ?

Post by JohnBrennand »

Using T'bird 52.0 on a Mac running Sierra. I connect to several usenet groups via "Eternal September".

When viewing messages there is a "delete" button on the toolbar that - well - deletes the highlighted message(s).

Now I have mistakenly deleted a few that I would like to see again but dont know where they have gone to or how to retrieve them.
The only Trash folder is in the "Local Folders" above the line and that is completely empty ?
So anyone have any idea where these postings will be and if its possible to restore them ?

Thanks John
tanstaafl

Re: How do I recover a deleted usenet posting ?

Post by tanstaafl »

I suspect it sent a command to the news server to delete the posted message. If you kept a copy (or retrieve a copy from a different news server or googles archive) you could resubmit the content of the post as a new post, but I'm not aware of a way to undelete it. However, I'm not the right person to ask since its been many years since I had a newsgroup account.
WaltS48

Re: How do I recover a deleted usenet posting ?

Post by WaltS48 »

It is possible to restore them by either repairing the folder, or unsubscribing from the newsgroup, then subscribe again.

To repair the folder, right-click on it, select Properties and click the "Repair Folder" button.

You should be good, unless they are really old posts, no longer on the server due to E-S retention rate.
Linux Desktop - AMD Athlon(tm) II X3 455 3.3GHz | 8.0GB RAM | GeForce GT 630
Windows Notebook - AMD A8 7410 2.2GHz | 6.0GB RAM | AMD Radeon R5