Automatically add email to address book ?

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
Al_H

Automatically add email to address book ?

Post by Al_H »

Hi,

As most of us, I have several email accounts.

I have created specific address books for each of the email accounts, and configured TB to autocomplete email addresses looking only to the selected address book(s).

However, I cannot choose to which Address Book must be automatically stored outgoing email addresses, depending on the issuing account.
This is to say, the menu allows to set the Global Addressing Preferences, and thus, all outgoing email addresses -regardless from which account they are sent- will be stored in one Address book, but I cannot allocate a specific address book to store outgoing email addresses, depending on the issuing account.

I hope I have explained myself.

Any comments will be welcome
tanstaafl

Re: Automatically add email to address book ?

Post by tanstaafl »

You can specify any address book that should automatically get a copy of outgoing email addresses using tools -> options -> composition -> addressing. However, that is a global setting, that will effect all accounts.

The MoreFunctionsForAddressBooks add-on at https://freeshell.de/~kaosmos/morecols-en.html lets you replace some global settings with account specific settings but it doesn't appear to support what you want. Thunderbird supports message filters that are automatically run when sending, but it doesn't support an action such as save recipients address in a specific address book. So I suspect you are out of luck.
Al_H

Post by Al_H »

That´s what I thought.....
I use more functions for address books. It is a great add-on
Still thanks again for your help. You are always there to give users a hand
Best
Al_H

Post by Al_H »

There was one extension "Mail Miner 0.1.3", done in 2011 which did exaclty what I am looking for..... but it did not progress

Also it is a pity that ~kaosmos, who still maintains "MoreFunctionsForAddressBooks" add-on has not continued the update on his old Email Address Crawler. His last version is 5.1.2 and it is not compatible since TB 3.8. This would solve also the problem of allocating the email addresses in the right address book.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

sfhowes

Post by sfhowes »

Al_H wrote:There was one extension "Mail Miner 0.1.3", done in 2011 which did exaclty what I am looking for..... but it did not progress

Also it is a pity that ~kaosmos, who still maintains "MoreFunctionsForAddressBooks" add-on has not continued the update on his old Email Address Crawler. His last version is 5.1.2 and it is not compatible since TB 3.8. This would solve also the problem of allocating the email addresses in the right address book.
Email Address Crawler 5.1.2 is working here in TB 52 & 54, and has worked in earlier versions. Which feature do you find to be not working?
Al_H

Post by Al_H »

Thanks for the correction. It does work!
n4der

Post by n4der »

HI,
i'M looking to save incoming emails automatically to the address book, how to do this?
Email Address Crawler and MoreFunctionsForAddressBooks doesnt work for me,
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

What's happening when you try to use those extensions? For instance, what error messages appear?
sfhowes

Post by sfhowes »

n4der wrote:HI,
i'M looking to save incoming emails automatically to the address book, how to do this?
You want the related add-on, INCOMING ADDRESSES COLLECTOR:

https://freeshell.de//~kaosmos/index-en ... rcollector
n4der

Post by n4der »

DanRaisch wrote:
What's happening when you try to use those extensions? For instance, what error messages appear?
It was actually my mistake as i wasnt aware of how to install from file, i'm assuming they work fine
n4der

Post by n4der »

sfhowes wrote:
n4der wrote:HI,
You want the related add-on, INCOMING ADDRESSES COLLECTOR:

https://freeshell.de//~kaosmos/index-en ... rcollector
this EXACTLY what i'm looking for, Thanks
mgagnonlv

Post by mgagnonlv »

Paul Kaosmos' extension collects incoming addresses.

The original poster was looking for something that automatically stores outgoing addresses into a different address book for each email account he has.

For that, I would suggest Cardbook.
It is a wonderfully complete and a bit intimidating extension. Amongst other things, it offers:
– Creating or adding distant address books, with CardDav, Google and Apple address book.
– Using a specific address book, or even a category from an address book (ex.: friends) for each email account. If you have many accounts and many address books, it is possible to use address books "personal" and "family" for 3 email accounts and the addrss book "work" for another one.
– Collect automatically all addresses of outgoing emails in a specific address book (or in a category of an address book) for each email account. You might be able to add addresses for one account in more than one address book.
– Each contact seems to be allowed an indefinite number of addresses, phone numbers, emails, etc.
– Lots of import and export possibilities.

Compatibility wise, I normally use the standard address book with "gContactSync". Cardbook picked up automatically all my contacts (and, at first glance, all their information). But my lists would need to be recreated.

I have no real-life experience with the extension; it seems almost "too much" for me!
Michel Gagnon
Montréal (Québec, Canada)