Confirm Security Exception

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
FraukeG

Confirm Security Exception

Post by FraukeG »

I have been having issues with sending and receiving email, as well as accessing websites I have to log into using Firefox. I use Kaspersky Total Security and have been talking to their customer support to try to sort out the issues.

Being told "You are about toe override how Thunderbird identifies this site. Legitimate banks, stores and other public sites will not ask you to do this etc etc" is really annoying especially when I know its not correct having spend time and money making sure that the certificates are valid, even complaining to the companies that supply the certificates!

Does anyone have any suggestions, other than dump Kaspersky and Thunderbird ?
tanstaafl

Re: Confirm Security Exception

Post by tanstaafl »

I know Avast will root your certificates in order to examine mail sent over a secure connection. In a small percent of the configurations Thunderbird detects this and generates a security error. AVG has you configure the account to use a local proxy (provided by AVG) instead of the mail server, which you configure to make the secure connection on your behalf. So AVG can scan everything while its still unencrypted.

What does Kaspersky do? I know there used to be a anti-spam add-on.

What causes the problem to keep re-occurring after you create a permanent security exception? Something has to change for the existing security exception to no longer apply. See http://kb.mozillazine.org/SSL_Security_Error

By the way its not enough for the certificate to be correct, the corresponding CA certificate (which may have a intermediate certificate to worry about too, like Gmail has) also has to be known/correct.

As an aside I'm using a vpn (PureVPN) for everything on my PC. My Outlook.com and Gmail.com accounts in Thunderbird frequently complain due to my perceived location not matching my geographical location, forcing me to generate a security exception to shut them up. My other email providers are blissfully unaware that I'm using a vpn. Its annoying but unless I want to switch to using a browser plug-in for my vpn instead (which is impractical as not all of the browsers I use are supported) its just something I need to live with.
FraukeG

Re: Confirm Security Exception

Post by FraukeG »

I think the problems are caused by automatic software updates. I disabled them last year, and in december all updates first failed, them stopped completely. Long story short, I am back to automatic updates.

The message goes away if I disable Kaspersky "Web security" ....... but i cant keep rembering to disable it when it starts again. My list of what to check when I cant do something is getting too long.