Erased email Folders, how to recover folders

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
ericel

Erased email Folders, how to recover folders

Post by ericel »

I had about 20-30 emial file folders that I erased while trying to figure out why AVG and Thunderbird were not working together, I uninstalled Thunderbird and erased the remaining files but is there any way to recover those file folders? I've tried everything on the web but nothing explains it well. I reinstalled Thunderbird and got my "inbox" back but not my folders. Is there anyone who can help?
DanRaisch

Re: Erased email Folders, how to recover folders

Post by DanRaisch »

How was the account set up, as a POP or IMAP type account?
Have you logged onto that account's webmail page using a browser to see if the messages are still present there?
ericel

Post by ericel »

I am using IMAP outgoing and POP incoming. My inbox is in tact but my folders are still missing. Even when I logged in via Horde and Squirrel the folders are missing. Also my address book is missing. However since my inbox is in tact I wonder if the folders are just hiding somewhere?
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

"I am using IMAP outgoing and POP incoming."

That is not possible. You use either POP or IMAP for incoming messages, and SMTP for outgoing/sending messages. I suggest you look in the accounts server settings at the Server Type field. If it says IMAP Mail Server its a IMAP account. If it says POP Mail Server its a POP account.

AVG requires you to configure a local proxy (which is actually provided by the AVG scanner) as the mail server, and then configure the AVG scanner to make the appropriate connection to the real mail server on your behalf if you want it to be able to scan incoming messages over a secure connection. Its a pain. That is one reason why Avast became more popular, as it transparently roots your certificates instead in order to be able to examine your mail over a secure connection. According to https://answers.avira.com/en/question/a ... 52?sh=true Avira won't scan secure connections. Personally I use BitDefender which doesn't "know" about email. However, it gets called automatically whenever a file is opened. That includes opening an attachment because Thunderbird creates a temporary file and passes the path to the view utility.

See https://support.avg.com/SupportArticleV ... ails&q=ssl for instructions on how to configure AVG to scan mail using a secure connection.

Did you make a backup of your profile before you started deleting stuff?

Address books are stored using *.mab files (for example your personal address book is abook.mab) so they should have been unaffected if you deleted a mail folder from within Thunderbird, or by manually deleting files named after the mail folder.

Normally all of your data (mail, settings, address books, add-ons etc.) are stored in your profile. Try looking in other directories within ..\Mail and ..\ImapMail for your mail. Its possible you accidentally changed the local directory setting in the accounts server settings (its next to a Browse button) , which controls what directory it uses to store its files. However, that would not effect address books which are always stored in the top level directory in the profile.