Thunderbird 52.2.1 mail exchange with Yahoo! accounts

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
leishirsute

Re: Thunderbird 52.2.1 mail exchange with Yahoo! accounts

Post by leishirsute »

Okay, I don't understand but saw this solution posted about 5m ago on Yahoo customer care site and it worked for me.

europeDK wrote:

Found the fix!

Change server name in "server settings" for yahoo account in Thunderbird from imap.mail.yahoo.com to imap.mail.att.net

Done
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

d1grizz wrote:Why would pop servers work and not IMAP?
Possibly because Yahoo changed the required settings for the IMAP servers but has not done so (yet) for the POP servers.
leishirsute

Post by leishirsute »

DanRaisch wrote:
d1grizz wrote:Why would pop servers work and not IMAP?
Possibly because Yahoo changed the required settings for the IMAP servers but has not done so (yet) for the POP servers.
Maybe yahoo is swapping servers and att.net is a temporary server location for IMAP.
Don't know. But it's working now.
d1grizz

Post by d1grizz »

I fixed it... sorta. I went to yahoo webmail and archived all my emails. This empties your inbox and saves all your old email in the archive folder in webmail. I had over 7000 emails in there and I didn't want to have to download them all using POP. Then I deleted the Yahoo IMAP acct from Thunderbird. I reinstalled the account and during setup changed the IMAP to POP. The account installed and verified. The account now works using POP servers. I know it's not ideal but at least it works in Tbird now. All my old email are on the webmail in the archives and only new emails are coming into Tbird. You don't have to archive your webmail, but if you don't and you have a ton of old email like I did it will download all those old emails onto your hard drive which will take forever and clog up your drive. Hope this helps.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

"Why would pop servers work and not IMAP?"

There has been talk about Yahoo planning on adding OAuth2 support. The Thunderbird developers have been trying to find a contact (last I read in a bug report) to get the information needed to support that, as its email provider specific. Gmail only supports OAuth2 for IMAP accounts, so Yahoo might plan on doing the same. Perhaps this problem is due to some changes they are making in preparation for rolling out OAuth2 support.
leishirsute

Post by leishirsute »

d1grizz wrote:I fixed it... sorta. I went to yahoo webmail and archived all my emails. This empties your inbox and saves all your old email in the archive folder in webmail. I had over 7000 emails in there and I didn't want to have to download them all using POP. Then I deleted the Yahoo IMAP acct from Thunderbird. I reinstalled the account and during setup changed the IMAP to POP. The account installed and verified. The account now works using POP servers. I know it's not ideal but at least it works in Tbird now. All my old email are on the webmail in the archives and only new emails are coming into Tbird. You don't have to archive your webmail, but if you don't and you have a ton of old email like I did it will download all those old emails onto your hard drive which will take forever and clog up your drive. Hope this helps.
I had also configured a pop server account in Seamonkey to get just the inbox emails, but deleted the account once this solution worked for me for IMAP:
Change server name in "server settings" for yahoo account in Thunderbird from imap.mail.yahoo.com to imap.mail.att.net
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

I can confirm that switching to imap.mail.att.net works for Thunderbird users who have a free yahoo account (not one provided by a ISP). However, the old mail server setting had started working again about 30 minutes ago. They didn't update the official imap server settings at https://help.yahoo.com/kb/SLN4075.html .

Somebody at https://forums.yahoo.net/t5/Password-an ... 597/page/8 stated "AT&T merged with Verizon which acquired Yahoo" . That might explain why AT&T servers though its puzzling that Verizon had Verizon ISP users migrate to AOL mail servers.
leishirsute

Post by leishirsute »

tanstaafl wrote:I can confirm that switching to imap.mail.att.net works for Thunderbird users who have a free yahoo account (not one provided by a ISP). However, the old mail server setting had started working again about 30 minutes ago. They didn't update the official imap server settings at https://help.yahoo.com/kb/SLN4075.html .

Somebody at https://forums.yahoo.net/t5/Password-an ... 597/page/8 stated "AT&T merged with Verizon which acquired Yahoo" . That might explain why AT&T servers though its puzzling that Verizon had Verizon ISP users migrate to AOL mail servers.
I switched back to old mail server setting : imap.mail.yahoo.com
Still not working for me.
Switching back to imap.mail.att.net .
I do have a free yahoo account.
KiNeL

Post by KiNeL »

Surely the att.net 'fix' can only work for att customers, it certainly doesn't help me.
woefully

Post by woefully »

Yes, it seems working for me now as well. Didn't make any changes.
leishirsute

Post by leishirsute »

I switched back to yahoo.com and it's working for me as well.
att.net must have be an alternate route that works for att customers.
telzey

Post by telzey »

leishirsute wrote:att.net must have be an alternate route that works for att customers.
No, I am not an AT&T customer, but att.net worked for me. Free yahoo account, though.
Kjohrf

Post by Kjohrf »

Fixed for me too. So yahoo fixed something on their end?
Jinxed

Post by Jinxed »

Problem cleared up this morning when I removed and readded my Yahoo account from Thunderbird. I can readily read my mail again (yippie!)

In an inane attempt, I tried installing SeaMonkey. Dang thing crashed three times when trying to setup my yahoo account. Gave up, not worth the effort to figure out what java.applet or x64 package the logs are complaining it needs.

Seems some mod moved and locked the bug report, without ever giving anyone a chance to investigate, or a reference to the solution (if ever there was one). Thanks btw :P real champion of the people there buddy.
PeterNZM wrote:I suspect the problem is that Yahoo is "forcing" you out of using e-mail readers like Thunderbird, perhaps to further their own revenue gathering from advertising.
If that was the case, they'd simply shut down the IMAP & POP servers ;) Most of us the web access and app anyhow when were away from our office / homes. They're getting their fair share of revenue.
fdisk2k

Post by fdisk2k »

Since yesterday (19 July) seems to be working fine :)
Nothing to change, nothing to add or modify, maybe it was a "glitch".
Hope it's over.
12º 12' S
77º 03' W