Thunderbird No Longer Prompts For Password

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
dietzgw

Thunderbird No Longer Prompts For Password

Post by dietzgw »

Thunderbird 52.2.1.
Windows 10 (Creator edition)

It used to prompt each time I started Thunderbird, but recently quit prompting. Now it no longer does, so I can no longer retrieve email. Password hasn't changed and I can log into my Gmail account via a web browser just fine with that password. Google's email servers haven't changed, as far as I know.

When I start Thunderbird the mouse pointer has a spinning circle, which just keeps spinning.

I have tried starting in SAFE MODE but still don't get the prompt.

I have used the NETSH command to turn off all firewalls, but still no password prompt from Thunderbird.

The only change that I am aware of to my computer is that this started about the time I installed software and drivers for a new Epson printer, but I have uninstalled the Epson drivers and still get the same results.

I am running the latest Windows 10 (Creator) and the free AVG antivirus and am using the Windows Defender firewall (Not AVG's firewall).
DanRaisch

Re: Thunderbird No Longer Prompts For Password

Post by DanRaisch »

Go to TOOLS > OPTIONS >SECURITY > PASSWORDS tab> SAVED PASSWORDS button and there you can delete old passwords. Restart Thunderbird to ensure that the stored password is cleared from memory. The next time you "Get Mail" Thunderbird will ask for the password and you can check the box to remember the value.
dietzgw

Post by dietzgw »

DanRaisch: Thanks for your quick reply.

This is very strange. Thunderbird has been "broken" for several days, including as late as last night. However, when I just fired it up to follow your instructions, it prompted for the password! No idea what made it start prompting. There have been multiple PC restarts over many days and Thunderbird has refused to prompt for the password, but has now decided to do so.

I'll keep my fingers crossed, but I will also keep your instructions to try if it fails again.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

You're welcome and good luck.