Failed to Find Settings for Email Account

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
DanRaisch

Re: Failed to Find Settings for Email Account

Post by DanRaisch »

You've got SSL/TLS on port 587. Try STARTTLS, the usual security on port 587.
Have you made that change and then tried sending again?
I prefer to stay with Thunderbird because most of my contacts use my current email address there.
Not suggesting that you abandon TB but your email address is not tied to Thunderbird. It's tied to TDS. Have you tried creating an email account with Google or Hotmail and then using their SMTP server to send? You would still be using your TDS address to receive messages but would be able to test whether another SMTP server would work where TDS is not, at least with your current settings.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Gmail

If you add a Gmail account and configure your TDS account in Thunderbird to use the Gmail SMTP server you need to tweak a setting in Gmail webmail as "The Gmail SMTP server will ignore whatever From: address you supply unless you add it in the Gmail web page at Setting -> Accounts -> "Add another email address"". The gear like icon is used to access the settings.

If you wanted to go even further you could configure Gmail webmail to automatically fetch mail from the TDS mail server and place it in the Gmail inbox. That would let you keep your TDS email address but not use the TDS account. You'd use the Gmail account in Thunderbird instead. When creating a new message, choose the email address you want to use from the From: drop down list. You could set the reply-to address in the Gmail accounts server settings to your TDS address if you want to make certain replies go to your TDS address if you accidentally chose the wrong From: address.

See https://support.google.com/mail/answer/ ... 40753&rd=1 for how to configure Gmail's Mail Fetcher. http://kb.mozillazine.org/Replace_sever ... ne_account might also be useful.
tommyk

Post by tommyk »

I called TDS customer service and after the usual long wait, finally got someone who knew what they were doing. Unfortunately the TDS settings are very confusing and all it took was one wrong entry and it won't work. I made a minor change and now I can SEND and receive emails.

Hallelujah!

I guess it was my fault but it would be nice if instructions were a lot clearer.

Thanks anyways for all the suggestions. I really appreciate it!
makaiguy

Post by makaiguy »

Why not post what you found the fix to be so that someone else with the same problem might not have to go through what you did?
Doug Wilson
Win10 64bit: FF 124.0.2 64bit, TB 102.12.0 32-bit ║ Android 13/10: FF 124.2.0/115.9.0 ║ No TB for Android available, dammit!
What a fool believes he sees, no wise man has the power to reason away - Doobie Brothers
tommyk

Post by tommyk »

My incoming settings were fine but there was a mistake for outgoing.

In the "description" box I had SMTP. It should have been tds. Once I made the change Thunderbird worked like it always had!

Such a simple change and everything worked perfectly.

Again, TDS' instructions are very vague at best. I had to call customer service and got someone who knew what they were doing. He walked me through the set up and noticed the error in the Description Box right away.

Thanks again!