Huge bug, ctrl+z cause lose all text typed, no way to resume

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
Barabba

Huge bug, ctrl+z cause lose all text typed, no way to resume

Post by Barabba »

Hi, just noticed an horrible bug, running 52.1.1
After typing text I paste a link from Word 2016, maybe formatted in a particular way. After this I typed ctrl+z to undo the paste operation, all text typed disappeared (only the previous emails body still, as I was replying), no way to undo the ctrl-z or redo, all text lost.

I retyped then, and again the same problem, probably something in the clipboard (text fomatted) cotains something dangerous.
I copy again the link and pasted in a new email, now is normal.

If any developer can read this, please assure us that the undo operation will not delete all forever! Thank you
DanRaisch

Re: Huge bug, ctrl+z cause lose all text typed, no way to re

Post by DanRaisch »

There are usually no developers on these forums. See the disclaimer in the right hand panel of this page: "mozillazine is an independent..."

When you refer to pasting a link, do you mean a URL typed into Word and then copied, or something else? Because I've tried to replicate your results by copying a web page URL from a browser, pasting it into a Word document with other text present, then pasting that into the composition window of Thunderbird. I can use CTRL+Z to undo the paste and, while Redo doesn't seem to work in that situation, the text can be pasted by in using Ctrl+V.
Barabba

Post by Barabba »

Thanks for answer me, I mean I typed a text, then pasted the link from word, press ctrl+z and lost all text typed and link, and thre was no way to redo or to undo the ctrl+z, the text lost forever.

I repeated it and the same. Then I copied again the link, maybe the clipboard contained some hide chars less.. who knows, ad in the third emulation all was ok, the text was untuched.
I'm just asking to be more careful on use ctrl+z, it can't destroy all forever! It's absurd, horrible. Luckly there were only few lines, what about an email of thousands of chars? Unbeliavable to lose everything.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Copying and pasting from Word can often include odd characters or control codes because Word (and other MS products) do not always comply with Internet standards. Without knowing what particular elements were embedded along with the link and caused the problem it would be impossible to replicate the problem and determine how to "fix" it, particularly since the fix should be from Word.
Barabba

Post by Barabba »

what I'm asking to do, since the draft editor belongs from Thunderbird itself.. not Word, is to care more about the undo command. I'm more thn sure it is possible to write a code about the undo routine which can manage better the undo function, and it should be like this.
To lose an entire text after undo can't be tollerable..

I really would like to paste here the clipboard content but it is amost impossible..
thank you
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Just as a reminder:
There are usually no developers on these forums
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

Perhaps the problem is that Word adds proprietary HTML tags by default. Try saving the HTML file as filtered HTML in Microsoft Word before you copy from it.