MozillaZine

Download messages from server and deletion

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
snowcrash101

Post Posted August 9th, 2017, 2:09 pm

Hello

I'm new to thunderbird.

I currently have email on a secure online server. It has limited storage, so wish to download messages (accessible via pop), and delete on the server.

(i) Although I don't want to delete all the messages on the server, that is, only those older than 6 months.
(ii) I would want to use thunderbird as means of 'archiving' all the messages from the server, so would want to keep and not delete any messages downloaded

Is there a straightforward way of achieving the above?

Thanks for any advice

DanRaisch

Post Posted August 9th, 2017, 2:47 pm

The POP3 email protocol does not provide a way for the email client (Thunderbird or any other) to download messages based on a date range. The default process is for the client to download all messages it finds in the server inbox folder. Thunderbird does provide an option to download only the headers of messages (sender, date, time, subject, etc.) and allow the user to choose to download the full message content of chosen messages. I doubt that that would match your intended use pattern.

By default, Thunderbird is set to "Leave messages on server" so you would be able to access that account through a browser and delete older messages as you saw fit after they were downloaded to Thunderbird, or set up a [url=http://kb.mozillazine.org/Filters_%28Thunderbird%29[/url] in Thunderbird to delete those messages from the server after download. The former would likely be the safer route.

Once the messages currently on the server are accounted for there is a subsidiary option in Thunderbird ("For at most nn days"), related to the "Leave messages on server" that would let you set an age for retention in the server inbox. That would mean that after being downloaded to Thunderbird. messages would remain on the server for the chosen number of days and then be deleted automatically from the server inbox.

snowcrash101

Post Posted August 9th, 2017, 2:51 pm

Thanks for the reply. I think the nn days option could work.

On a related note, is it possible to archive messages in Thunderbird to a different storage location, say on a different internal hd than the OS on which TB is installed?

snowcrash101

Post Posted August 9th, 2017, 3:06 pm

Actually, I figured it out.

DanRaisch

Post Posted August 9th, 2017, 4:25 pm

You're welcome.

Return to Thunderbird Support