Only first email folder is showing headers

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
Red_Dwarf

Only first email folder is showing headers

Post by Red_Dwarf »

I have just completed a system restore on Win 7 Sp1 x64. Prior to the SR I was using TB 45.3. After the system restore I decided to update to the latest 52.2.1.

After updating I cannot access my email folders. Only the first folder I select is displayed, any others selected after that does not update the email headers and shows the email headers from the first email folder. This is when using Hotmail and Gmail. The only way to access any other folder is to close TB and reopen and then select the new email folder.

I reinstalled 45.3 and everything is working okay as it was before I updated.

I did read that there were some problems with 52.2 which were meant to be fixed in 52.2.1. However it does not look like they were all fixed.

Is there a solution?
DanRaisch

Re: Only first email folder is showing headers

Post by DanRaisch »

Moving to Thunderbird Support.

How are the Hotmail and Gmail accounts set up in Thunderbird, as POP or IMAP type accounts?
Red_Dwarf

Post by Red_Dwarf »

They were setup as IMAP in TB but after checking some of them were set to Pop in gmail settings. I have set them all to IMAP in gmail and TB is now working for both v45 and v52. I can now remove 52 and update 45.

However there was a problem with TB rejecting my account setup in 52 as it was a new profile and I did not want to mess up 45 until I confirmed that it worked.

TB opens a webpage to log in to gmail and the login that it uses in the browser window is in Proper case ie capital first letters as I use dots in some of my email addresses which gmail ignores. At first I changed this back to how it should be, all lower case. TB then spent a long time trying to verify the account and failed. I tried again but left it how it opened in Proper case and that was accepted. Email addresses should not be case sensitive. Why is TB doing using this method for email addresses? The best part about it is that in the email folders the email address shows with lower case. It does not make sense using Proper case for email addresses.
Red_Dwarf

Post by Red_Dwarf »

I am back to 45 as the emails will not work in 52 and I have no intention of setting up a large amount of emails in 52 just to get it working. That is not going to happen. The same problems as before.

I will avoid updating Mozilla products in future because it so frequently breaks something. Firefox breaks extensions and TB ruins my mail. 52 will not work with the email setup in 45 and earlier.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

TB ruins my mail. 52 will not work with the email setup in 45 and earlier.
OK, but please realize that other users (myself included) are not seeing problems using Gmail and Hotmail with Thunderbird 52.2.1. Also, a System Restore may have corrupted elements of the Thunderbird profile. System Restore is designed to work on the files of Windows itself, not on the files of install applications. You mentioned that Thunderbird identified your account set up as if it was a new profile. That suggests that the file profiles.ini was destroyed or corrupted. http://kb.mozillazine.org/Recovering_a_ ... isappeared
wsmwk

Post by wsmwk »

Red_Dwarf wrote:TB opens a webpage to log in to gmail and the login that it uses in the browser window is in Proper case ie capital first letters as I use dots in some of my email addresses which gmail ignores. At first I changed this back to how it should be, all lower case. TB then spent a long time trying to verify the account and failed. I tried again but left it how it opened in Proper case and that was accepted. Email addresses should not be case sensitive. Why is TB doing using this method for email addresses? The best part about it is that in the email folders the email address shows with lower case. It does not make sense using Proper case for email addresses.
This "webpage" was gmail oauth. gmail does the authentication, not thunderbird. So AFAIK this would not be a problem caused by Thunderbird.

Can you give us an example of what you typed in that worked, and what didn't work??