TB Is Very Slow

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
Roderunner

TB Is Very Slow

Post by Roderunner »

I am using TB Portable version 52.2.1 32-bit. Apart from a calendar or a stop watch, is there any other method I could use to find how slow it is. I am running it on a Packard Bell laptop with Windows 7 Home Premium 32-Bit.
It is exactly the same on my Desktop pc. HP 7715uk also with Windows 7 Home Premium 32-Bit.
Regards
George
DanRaisch

Re: TB Is Very Slow

Post by DanRaisch »

Apart from a calendar or a stop watch, is there any other method I could use to find how slow it is.
Not sure if you are being facetious there but your question is certainly not clear. Are you saying that Thunderbird is running slow and you want to see if you can speed it up?
What areas of Thunderbird appear to be slow?
Are you running the same security software on both systems?
Is that Portable TB installed on the laptop hard drive or running from a flash drive or other external drive?
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

Tools -> activity manager records when certain actions occurred. The problem is making good use of that data since only certain activities are recorded, and it doesn't map well to things like startup problems, delays opening a folder etc.

Is the performance problem account specific?
Does it occur when running in safe mode? (help -> restart with add-ons disabled, not to be confused with windows safe mode)
See if http://kb.mozillazine.org/Performance_-_Thunderbird helps. It takes a while to go through it, but its pretty complete.
Roderunner

Post by Roderunner »

DanRaisch wrote:
Apart from a calendar or a stop watch, is there any other method I could use to find how slow it is.
Not sure if you are being facetious there but your question is certainly not clear. Are you saying that Thunderbird is running slow and you want to see if you can speed it up?
What areas of Thunderbird appear to be slow?
Are you running the same security software on both systems?
Is that Portable TB installed on the laptop hard drive or running from a flash drive or other external drive?
Hi D-R, TB Portable folder is on D:Drive with a shortcut on the Desktop & pinned to the Start Menu on both my computers.
The installed programs including Security are almost identical. Laptop has no music progs used. I listen to my TV radio.
-
If I click the .exe in D: or either of the 2 shortcuts, TB can take 2-4 minutes to appear, the only other program I have running is my browser, but not always.
Both my computers have 1 built-in hdd only and split in 2 partitions.
Regards
George
Roderunner

Post by Roderunner »

tanstaafl wrote:Tools -> activity manager records when certain actions occurred. The problem is making good use of that data since only certain activities are recorded, and it doesn't map well to things like startup problems, delays opening a folder etc.

Is the performance problem account specific?
I don't think so.I use Gmail
Does it occur when running in safe mode? (help -> restart with add-ons disabled, not to be confused with windows safe mode)
See if http://kb.mozillazine.org/Performance_-_Thunderbird helps. It takes a while to go through it, but its pretty complete.
I only have 'Theme Font & Size Changer' installed, so still the same in safe mode.
Tools -> activity manager only shows messages downloaded.
Regards
George
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

TB can take 2-4 minutes to appear,
Wow! Thunderbird is up and running in 4 to 5 seconds here. What security program is it you are running on those two machines?
Roderunner

Post by Roderunner »

Hi D-R, I use Windows Firewall & Avast Free.
Regards
George
wsmwk

Post by wsmwk »

Roderunner wrote:If I click the .exe in D: or either of the 2 shortcuts, TB can take 2-4 minutes to appear, the only other program I have running is my browser, but not always. Both my computers have 1 built-in hdd only and split in 2 partitions.
2 minutes vs 4 minutes is a huge variation that can probably only be explained by something in your environment, which includes wide variation in number of messages being downloaded.

That said, two minutes is a long time. You are actually measuring this with a timer, not estimating?
Roderunner

Post by Roderunner »

Hi wsmwk, normally, I use the desktop shortcut to start TB. If my browser is open, I use the start menu. From here, the menu can stay open for 20-30 seconds after clicking, before the splash screen shows then the start menu closes.
Regards
George
wsmwk

Post by wsmwk »

how much memory on this 32bit win7 system?
Roderunner

Post by Roderunner »

2GB
Regards
George
wsmwk

Post by wsmwk »

Do you see the slowness if you start *Windows'* safe mode with networking enabled
- XP https://www.microsoft.com/resources/doc ... lsafe.mspx
and still In Windows safe mode, start thunderbird in safe mode
- https://support.mozilla.org/kb/safe-mode-thunderbird
Roderunner

Post by Roderunner »

I have tried this before and its very slightly faster.
Regards
George
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

1GB is the minimum required memory for Windows 7 32-bit according to https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/hel ... quirements . Minimum means that it runs, not that it runs okay. You only have 2GB. If you try to run Thunderbird with several large applications such as Firefox (my copy is using 384MB with 5 tabs open) already running I'd expect performance problems. Many applications nowadays appear to assume everybody has 4GB or more.

See if the same problem occurs if you close all other applications, minimize the amount of programs in the system tray, and launch Thunderbird using the shortcut/TB icon. I'd also review what options are enabled in Avast, its suffering from feature creep. I suggest you use only the file, mail and web shields.
wsmwk

Post by wsmwk »

I wouldn't even use the mail shield - redundant.
https://wiki.mozilla.org/Thunderbird:Te ... nce_Issues