Enlarging certain defaults in Tbird

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
funkynassau1

Re: Enlarging certain defaults in Tbird

Post by funkynassau1 »

It won't let me save as userChrome.css, it adds the .rtf automatically and I cant edit it to get rid of it. When I save it and try to change the name minus the .rtf, that doesnt work either, it keeps the name userChrome.css.rtf. Is there another way other than Text Edit to save this?

Thanks for your patience.
Eckard

Post by Eckard »

funkynassau1 wrote:Is there another way other than Text Edit to save this?
I already told you what to do: you must open the TextEdit preferences and check (activate) the "text format" instead of the "rich text format" (RTF) as file format.
My screen shot is in French but I hope you'll understand nevertheless what you have to change

Then when you save the text file as userChrome.css to your Desktop , the Mac will automatically add the .txt extension.
So your file will be saved as userChrome.css.txt file on your Desktop.
Change the file name by removing .txt, now the Finder will open a dialog box asking whether you really want to replace the .txt extension with the .css extension. Click on "Choose .css" and your filename will stay userChrome.css

Eckard

Post by Eckard »

I would have recommended the Theme Font & Size Changer but probably it will be deprecated in Thunderbird 57 by the end of the year...
In Thunderbird 57.0a1 (Daily) I'm already moving all my css codes from Stylish back to userChrome.css ;)
wsmwk

Post by wsmwk »

Eckard wrote:
I would have recommended the Theme Font & Size Changer but probably it will be deprecated in Thunderbird 57 by the end of the year...
I seriously doubt it, for several reasons. To name a few, this particular addon is very popular in both Firefox and Thunderbird, actively updated by the developer and well maintained. Additionally, the fixes for many Thunderbird addons will be fairly easy.
Eckard

Post by Eckard »

wsmwk wrote:To name a few, this particular addon is very popular in both Firefox and Thunderbird, actively updated by the developer and well maintained.
Maybe this is true for this particular add-on but I'm afraid that my favorites CompactHeader, Simple Locale Switcher, Dictionary Switcher just as many other useful but less popular add-ons won't be ported.
Nevertheless I'm still reluctant to recommend Theme Font & Size Changer to Mac users since its zoom feature has been buggy in the past (and still is) in the Mac versions of Thunderbird.

Actually in TB 52.3.0 (Mac) with the add-on default zoom = 1.0

after changing the zoom to 1.05

after several attempts to reset the zoom to 1.0

wsmwk

Post by wsmwk »

Did you report the issue?
Eckard

Post by Eckard »

About two or three years ago I reported a similar issue (on macOS) to the author:
after setting the add-on zoom to 1.05 the preferences panes would be truncated when successively clicking on different buttons such as General, Display, Composition, Privacy, ... with panes getting thinner after each click. At the end there was only the upper part of the pane with the "toolbar" buttons left.

Now a zoom > 1.0 will also cause tiny preferences panes but no truncation. It's the same effect as for the main window shown in my screen shots.
wsmwk

Post by wsmwk »

I just got a notice in Thunderbird of an update to the addon
funkynassau1

Post by funkynassau1 »

I got it to work, finally, thank you very much. I enlarged it to 15 rather than 13. I'm not actually the dolt I appeared to be, even though it seems like it. I appreciate the help I received here :-)
Eckard

Post by Eckard »

funkynassau1 wrote:I got it to work, finally, thank you very much.
You're welcome ;)
Eckard

Post by Eckard »

wsmwk wrote:I just got a notice in Thunderbird of an update to the addon
Still the same issue with the zoom feature in version 55.0 of the add-on in TB (Mac).