"re-enter password" again and again

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
Firkin

"re-enter password" again and again

Post by Firkin »

It's happening yet again.

This time I changed all my passwords at source/s, then un-installed them from TB, & re-installed using new passwords,,,,
but most of them still come up with 're-enter password' (& something else I can't quite recall - along the same lines).

After a dozen times of this, I must say I'm getting quite peeved (is an acceptable phrase).

I realise that it can't be stopped, or you would have got it stopped by now. What do we do about this ?
T.B v60.5.0 + Asus M5A78L-M LX : Phenom IIx2 : 4gb ram : PSU: OCZ 500w : nVidia GT440 : HDD: Samsung 1tb + W.D 1tb : Chrome : Win 10 Pro (64)
DanRaisch

Re: "re-enter password" again and again

Post by DanRaisch »

I realise that it can't be stopped, or you would have got it stopped by now.
Don't know what your thinking is there but...
1) We are not the ones to stop anything with Thunderbird. This forum is not run by or formally associated with Mozilla. We're an independent user-helping-user community.
2) Most users are not seeing that so it would appear to be something in your local profile and not something arising in the program itself.

When you speak of "uninstalling" passwords from Thunderbird, how did you do that? Did you close and relaunch Thunderbird after doing that?
makaiguy

Post by makaiguy »

Accounts using OAuth2 authentication? Perhaps it's this:

From the TBird 52.3.0 release notes (released 16 Aug 2017):

KNOWN ISSUES
Unresolved: Multiple requests for master password when GMail OAuth2 is enabled
Doug Wilson
Win10 64bit: FF 115.0.02 64bit, TB 102.12.0 32-bit ║ Android 13/10: FF 115.2.0/115.0.1 ║ No TB for Android available, dammit!
What a fool believes he sees, no wise man has the power to reason away - Doobie Brothers
Firkin

Post by Firkin »

Thanks guys,
DAN: I forgot, I thought I was talking to Thunderbird/Mozilla.
The last time I looked at this on here, quite a few people had the same problem.
I'll repeat what I said in the OL.
I have several accounts from hotmail, Outlook, G.Mail etc.
To try stopping this begging for new or re-entered passwords,
I decided to change all my passwords at source; Hotmail. Outlook, G,mail etc.
I then went back on TB, and deleted each account in turn, and reinstalling it, using the new password/s.
Some of them have taken, but some haven't.
I have three friends accounts, so I can't (or don't want to change their passwords) on Outlook & gmail. I still get the message on those even though I haven't touched them.
thanks for looking into this for me.
T.B v60.5.0 + Asus M5A78L-M LX : Phenom IIx2 : 4gb ram : PSU: OCZ 500w : nVidia GT440 : HDD: Samsung 1tb + W.D 1tb : Chrome : Win 10 Pro (64)
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Removing an account to change the password is rather more than overkill. The issue could (should) have first been addressed by removing just the password stored by Thunderbird. TOOLS > OPTIONS >SECURITY > PASSWORDS tab> SAVED PASSWORDS button and there the old passwords can be removed. Restart Thunderbird to ensure that the stored password is cleared from memory. The next time "Get Mail" is triggered, Thunderbird will ask for the password and the the box to have TB remember the value can be checked.

You mentioned Gmail as one of the accounts involved. Is that set to use OAuth2 authentication as was questioned above?
Firkin

Post by Firkin »

Thanks Dan,
I didn't know about the password list. I've just gone through it & deleted as many old ones as I thought fit.
One of them confuses me, Although I changed it yesterday (or thought I had) it comes up with the password: " 1/cwc12d ??????? ". Any idea what that refers to please ?
Yep, my Gmail ones are OAuth2.
Have closed down TB & just about to reboot. Any updates will follow,,,,,
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

I don't know what could have caused that password value to be stored unless there is corruption in the file that stores the passwords. To try to eliminate that possibility, with Thunderbird closed navigate to the profile folder and locate and delete two files - signons.sqlite and key3.db. When you restart TB you'll have to manually enter all passwords but you can tell TB to save them for automatic entry and they will be stored in new files.
makaiguy

Post by makaiguy »

That 1/cwc12d password was for an account using OAuth2, wasn't it? OAuth2 creates a cryptic "token" and that is what is stored and sent when logging in. I don't really care for all Gmail's non-standard stuff, but I do have one lone Gmail account that I had to have for something or other -- it's set up with OAuth2 and does the same thing.
Doug Wilson
Win10 64bit: FF 115.0.02 64bit, TB 102.12.0 32-bit ║ Android 13/10: FF 115.2.0/115.0.1 ║ No TB for Android available, dammit!
What a fool believes he sees, no wise man has the power to reason away - Doobie Brothers
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Thanks, Doug. I've never switched to Gmail's OAuth2 security so I would never have realized that token resulted.
Firkin

Post by Firkin »

This is getting worse.
I thought I'd done good in cleaning out all the old passwords, and double checking the new ones,,,,
but this morning, I have to input passwords again, and again, and again.

The pop ups didn't stop long enough for me to turn TB off !

Can you tell me how to contact Mozilla / Thunderbird please ?
I can't use it like this. I'm spending hours a day on it when I should be doing other things, as well as not getting/sending vital mail, without reverting to the source accounts - which is why I use a program like this - when it's working.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

The Mozilla support pages for Thuderbird can be found here -- vhttps://support.mozilla.org/en-US/products/thunderbird

Don't be surprised to find that there is no paid, technical support staff present. That site too has volunteers responding to user, not technicians.
Do you have a Master Password set? http://kb.mozillazine.org/Master_password If so, try removing/resetting that.
Otherwise, I'm really not sure what it is you are running into as I'm not seeing it and haven't seen other reports of similar issues on these forums. Can you post a screen shot of what you are seeing?
Beamsys

Post by Beamsys »

I believe I've figured out a clue (but not a solution yet) to the persistent login failure problem with Yahoo IMAP. I'm using latest release of Thunderbird on Win 10 with IMAP for Yahoo mail. Everything was just fine until about one month ago, when without any change in local software login stopped working. Widely recommended and reported fixes of deleting/recreating accounts, erasing and re-entering passwords, switching "ON" or "OFF" two-step authentication on Yahoo, etc.. failed to solve the problem. SSL/TSL security and "Normal Password" are used, no "Master Password" and no OAuth2. BTW, two-step authentication with Yahoo-generated application password was working just fine prior to problem starting in July. Thunderbird would still send messages just fine through smtp.mail.yahoo.com, but displays "Login Failed" when I try to download messages.

I am using Yahoo to host my small website with my own domain name, and consequently have two e-mail addresses: one has format mydomain@yahoo.com, other being myname@mydomain.com - both under same Yahoo account and shearing same password, both working just fine prior to July, and both still working fine through web interface. myname@mydomain.com is the main address I use for past 11 years.

Tonight I've discovered that if I change user name to mydomain@yahoo.com then IMAP login would work smoothly, sub-folders and everything maps and messages from myname@yahoo.com account download without a hitch. However when I change Tools>Account Settings>Server Settings>User Name back to myname@mydomain.com login to that e-mail account fails! I am not a software developer and not familiar with inner workings of IMAP login, so unsure where to take this further, but very much hope this would help someone to troubleshoot the issue.
tbird4ever

Post by tbird4ever »

try taking off the '@yahoo.com' part completely. This fixed the CLIENTBUG error i kept getting with my yahoo account, after doing all the other stuff that indeed felt like overkill. I posted about it in the CLIENTBUG thread, waiting for approval though, but its strange that your getting that error while messing around with the username. Seems related, though maybe your situation is totally different with asking for password over and over.
Beamsys

Post by Beamsys »

try taking off the '@yahoo.com' part completely.

For me Yahoo IMAP service works both with "myname" and "myname@yahoo.com" in Username field. However logging in with "myname@mydomain.com" user name fails. It worked just fine since 2006 till July 2017, mydomain.com is hosted by yahoo and browser login works just fine...