Have 2 email address in TB, want to delete default without?

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird

Have 2 email address in TB, want to delete default without?

Post by 3315 »

Hi,

I have 2 email addresses in TB, want to delete DEAULT email acct without loosing ALL my email contacts & will my 2nd email acct automatically become my DEFAULT< or do I have to do something? Both email actts have same contacts. Recently moved & setup a new email address as my mail address.

Please, how accomplish this without loosing all my email addresses?

Regards

DanRaisch

Re: Have 2 email address in TB, want to delete default witho

Post by DanRaisch »

Removing an account using the controls within Thunderbird will not impact the address books.
Use menu path Tools->Account Settings
In the left hand pane, click on the name of the account to be removed
Click on the "Account Actions" button at the bottom of that left hand pane
Click "Remove Account"

You may need later need to select the account you wish to be the default and follow that same menu path, selecting "Set as default" rather than "Remove Account."

Note that the stored data from the removed account will remain on your hard drive after that account is removed from Thunderbird. If you wish to you can delete the associated files from the profile at a later time -- http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_folder_-_Thunderbird
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

What account is the default account or what is the default smtp server has little effect nowadays (other than listing the default account first in the folder pane). Its basically a legacy feature that you can safely ignore.

Post by 3315 »

Hi,

Sorry for the delayed response/thank you as I had a hip replacement & was in a phys therapy facility. The info you guys gave me about "changing the default email address" was the best info I have recd from the Thunderbird BBS. Very concise, stepped out, solved problem in a nanosecond. Your answers prove that some of TB's manual & instructions & visual interface can be greatly improved.

Altho, I'm a 40 yr operations manager of info tech from mainframes, minis to PC's, Thunderbird seems a little kludgy, being the only PC based email program email generally available beyond MS; I have found it to be not as intuitive and streamlined as it should be. We are at least 30+ yrs into the PC GUI based computing systems; time for "lean & mean".

However; you guys came thru for me, & I Thank You very much & will continue using TB.

Regards,

DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

You're welcome.