Unable to send email after upgrade to TB 52.3.0

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
joli

Unable to send email after upgrade to TB 52.3.0

Post by joli »

I've just had my TB upgraded to version 52.3.0. Whereas I had no problems before this, suddenly I am completely unable to send email. After composing the mail pressing Send did precisely nothing. I did an emergency re-install of my previous (working) version 52.1.1 but that no longer allows me to send either.

Is anyone else experiencing this problem and does anyone have a solution?
DanRaisch

Re: Unable to send email after upgrade to TB 52.3.0

Post by DanRaisch »

Have you confirmed that the SMTP server settings are all still showing the correct values? Tools->Account Settings->Outgoing Server (SMTP)
Does the same thing occur if you launch the application in Mozilla Safe Mode? http://kb.mozillazine.org/Safe_mode
joli

Post by joli »

DanRaisch wrote:Have you confirmed that the SMTP server settings are all still showing the correct values? Tools->Account Settings->Outgoing Server (SMTP)
Does the same thing occur if you launch the application in Mozilla Safe Mode? http://kb.mozillazine.org/Safe_mode
All the settings look fine. However, when I launch in Safe Mode send works again. What is that telling me?
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

One of your add-ons might not work well with the current version of Thunderbird, and have bad side effects. They're all disabled when using safe mode.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Try disabling all extensions but one and then close and restart the program. (Disable them by using menu path Tools->Addons->Extensions->click on "Disable" for every extension but one.) See if the problem is present. If not, enable an additional extension and close and restart the application. Repeat this procedure until the problem reappears. The last enabled extension will be the cause of the problem.
joli

Post by joli »

DanRaisch wrote:Try disabling all extensions but one and then close and restart the program. (Disable them by using menu path Tools->Addons->Extensions->click on "Disable" for every extension but one.) See if the problem is present. If not, enable an additional extension and close and restart the application. Repeat this procedure until the problem reappears. The last enabled extension will be the cause of the problem.
Thanks. The problem was caused by an out of date add-on. I had assumed that add-ons would be updated automatically as necessary, but I had to update it manually and that solved the problem. Isn't there some way of automatically updating all add-ons and avoiding problems like this?
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Menu path Tools->Add-ons->click on the "Gear" icon->check the box for "Update add-ons automatically". But remember that add-ons don't come from Mozilla but from independent developers so their dates of update may not match those of Thunderbird itself. It will still be possible to find an out of date extension causing problems after the program updates if the developer lags behind with the extension update.