Ctrl + A Deletes Mail. Is there a Fix???

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
killz

Re: Ctrl + A Deletes Mail. Is there a Fix???

Post by killz »

DanRaisch wrote:If you use menu path Tools->Account Settings->Copies & Folders->Message Archives is there a button reading "Default Archive Options"?
Hello,

Yes there is. But it doesnt say 'default archive options.' It just says 'archive options.' What do you suggest?
killz

Post by killz »

hello ??
DN123ABC

Post by DN123ABC »

You need to hold down CTRL and "A" at the same time, not one then the other. If you do the latter, it will "A"rchive the selected email.
killz

Post by killz »

DN123ABC wrote:You need to hold down CTRL and "A" at the same time, not one then the other. If you do the latter, it will "A"rchive the selected email.
If you had read the beginning of the thread you'd have noted that I press Ctrl and A at the same time. It still gets archived. None of the mail's content gets selected.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

It just says 'archive options.' What do you suggest?
Did you click on that button to see what options are available?
makaiguy

Post by makaiguy »

killz wrote:
DN123ABC wrote:You need to hold down CTRL and "A" at the same time, not one then the other. If you do the latter, it will "A"rchive the selected email.
If you had read the beginning of the thread you'd have noted that I press Ctrl and A at the same time. It still gets archived. None of the mail's content gets selected.
No, you said "then press Ctrl + A" not "Ctrl and A at the same time", which is not necessarily the same thing, especially when the symptom you are describing is that of pressing A alone.

I still suspect your Ctrl key may not be functioning properly. As asked before, but not answered, do other Ctrl key combinations, using that same Ctrl key, work?
Doug Wilson
Win10 64bit: FF 124.0.2 64bit, TB 102.12.0 32-bit ║ Android 13/10: FF 124.2.0/115.9.0 ║ No TB for Android available, dammit!
What a fool believes he sees, no wise man has the power to reason away - Doobie Brothers
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Also note that with some keyboards, any lag at all in pressing the non-letter key of a hot key combo may result in only the letter key being read by the system. I used to have a Compaq laptop that would only send keyboard shortcuts if I held down the non-letter key(s) [Ctrl or Alt or Ctrl-Shift, etc.) and only then pressed the letter key. Trying to press the keys simultaneously led to invariably to only the letter key showing up in the application.
killz

Post by killz »

DanRaisch wrote:
It just says 'archive options.' What do you suggest?
Did you click on that button to see what options are available?
Yeah I did. Additional options don't pop up. It's like dead. Any thoughts on this?
killz

Post by killz »

Bump again!
killz

Post by killz »

DanRaisch you left me kinda hanging. I had answered your question about the options that are available in "archive options." As I said it doesnt let me click in that button. What do you suggest?
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

I doubt that this will help but I don't have anything else to offer:

Clear the browser cache and the Windows Temp directory.
Shutdown any anti-virus software you are running.
Download a new copy of the full installer from http://www.mozillamessaging.com/en-US/thunderbird/
Delete the directory C:\Program Files\Mozilla Thunderbird
Run the installer.
Restart the anti-virus program.

Note that your saved messages, address books, settings, passwords, etc (if any) are stored in a different directory from the program files and will not be removed by deleting the directory identified above.

This thread http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... 5#p5239885 has a more detailed version of the above instructions if needed.
killz

Post by killz »

DanRaisch wrote:I doubt that this will help but I don't have anything else to offer:

Clear the browser cache and the Windows Temp directory.
Shutdown any anti-virus software you are running.
Download a new copy of the full installer from http://www.mozillamessaging.com/en-US/thunderbird/
Delete the directory C:\Program Files\Mozilla Thunderbird
Run the installer.
Restart the anti-virus program.

Note that your saved messages, address books, settings, passwords, etc (if any) are stored in a different directory from the program files and will not be removed by deleting the directory identified above.
Dan will this wipe out all my settings and addons? Bit nervous about this. I dont want to have to start over from scratch and go through the frustration of reinstalling every addon I had plus put in all my settings again.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

As I said above, "...your saved messages, address books, settings, passwords, etc (if any) are stored in a different directory from the program files and will not be removed by deleting the directory identified above." Just be sure to delete only the program directory found in C:\Program Files\Mozilla Thunderbird (or it might be C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Thunderbird.)