TB ignores default outgoing server setting

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
Briansdad

TB ignores default outgoing server setting

Post by Briansdad »

I have 5 accounts on 3 domains which I use TB to access. I have set one outgoing server as the default outgoing - call it A.com. It's a POP smtp. I download from Gmail as one of my domains. I have my default outgoing server set to A.com but when I open a new email compose box, the outgoing server is always set at Gmail.com. NOT GOOD! I don't always remember to change this to the correct, A.com. So, I thought I'd fix that by removing the Gmail.com as an available outgoing server. But, Gmail.com still comes up as the default outgoing!!!! The only difference is that it now fails to send that way [which I guess is an improvement - at least I don't send with the wrong address anymore]. But, I still have to reset the outgoing every time! Can this be fixed?
How can we make peace if we are not peaceful?
tanstaafl

Re: TB ignores default outgoing server setting

Post by tanstaafl »

The default smtp server setting is mainly useful when there is no assigned smtp server. That is a legacy feature nowadays since the new account wizard automatically creates a smtp server entry whenever you add an account.

I suggest you ignore the existence of a default smtp server setting and explicitly set the desired smtp server in each case. I don't know what else you are doing that might complicate matters but you might need to use the folder account add-on to specify what multiple identity or account it should use as the default From: address when you are in a specific folder.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/thunde ... src=search
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Multiple_iden ... il_account
makaiguy

Post by makaiguy »

Menu Path:
  • [If running on Windows or OSX]: Tools | Account Settings, or
    [If running on Linux]: Edit | Account Settings
There are two parts to setting up smtp servers.
  1. Enter/edit the SMTP server parameters via the Outgoing Server link at the bottom of the left pane. If you have several accounts set up, you may need to scroll to the bottom of the left pane to see this. You can choose which SMTP server you wish to have as your default here.
  2. For EACH incoming mail account shown above the Outgoing Servers in the left pane:
    • Click on the account name in the left pane. Choose the SMTP server to use for this account via the pulldown list at the bottom of the "Default Identity" section in the right pane. The only way your choice of default smtp server has any effect here is if you explicitly tell it to 'Use Default Server'; otherwise it will use whichever specific server is selected here.

Repeat for any additional identities you may have created in this account. You access them via the "Manage Identities" button at the bottom of the right pane.
The "default" server is mainly of use if you are set up to use a SMTP server on your home cable or landline telephone connection but are traveling away from your home location with a laptop where you cannot connect to your home server. In this case you can enter the details of a server you CAN access then change your default to that. This was mainly of use in the old dial-up days where you needed to connect to different local numbers (and SMTP servers) as you traveled. If you had a number of locations you used regularly you could set them all up and just switch which is the default as you moved between locations.

{edited to add ...]
One more thing. When creating a new message, the program assumes you wish to use whichever account you are viewing at the time. So if you're viewing your Gmail account and hit Write to create a new message, it should use whatever SMTP server you have assigned to your Gmail account. If you're in your, say, Yahoo account, it will use the SMTP server you've assigned to the Yahoo account. As you say, you can change this before it is sent, if you happen to catch it, but it's easier to change to the account you want to use before hitting that Write button. When sending replies to existing messages, you're already in that account so it should use that account's designated SMTP server automatically.
Doug Wilson
Win10 64bit: FF 124.0.2 64bit, TB 102.12.0 32-bit ║ Android 13/10: FF 124.2.0/115.9.0 ║ No TB for Android available, dammit!
What a fool believes he sees, no wise man has the power to reason away - Doobie Brothers
Briansdad

Post by Briansdad »

I believe I have done all that you said - prior to this post. I prepared a couple of screenshots to show better what I have in account options but I don't see a way of adding attachments here.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

Briansdad

Post by Briansdad »

Creating the screenshot is not the problem. I see no way to include them or attach them to my post! I'd show you that my screen has no button or the like to do this but . . . I can't attach a screenshot of that either #-o
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

Hi,
Here's a step-by-step on how to include images or links to them...

After you've taken the screen shot/s...
Reduce it/them to around 600 x 500 or so in your favourite image editor, (Be sure to remove any personal info.)
& upload them to your favourite image hosting site.
> http://tinypic.com/
> https://imageshack.com/
> https://imgur.com/ (They do not allow external linking, now.)
> https://imgbox.com/

&...Select the code listed as "Forum Thumbnail", copy the code to your clipboard and paste it in
the thread where you report your problem.
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)