Copying files problem

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
iysys

Copying files problem

Post by iysys »

I was transferring computers recently and trying to copy all my profile history and such from Thunderbird. I successfully copied the file to DropBox and it was running smoothly. I then realized I should probably actually move it onto the PC so I repeated the steps of transferring the files onto my computer and creating a new profile accessing the new file location. Problem is that the profile has no history. All my old mail as well as everything that was in my inbox currently is gone.

Any ideas?
tanstaafl

Re: Copying files problem

Post by tanstaafl »

I don't know what you mean by profile history. The closest thing to history for Thunderbird is all of your mail folders.

Did you only copy the "inbox." file? I'm confused because I would have expected you to have moved the entire profile, even if you copied it over an existing profile rather than telling Thunderbird to use the moved profile.

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Move_to_a_new_PC
iysys

Post by iysys »

I followed these instructions https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/mo ... w-computer
I moved everything to a Drop Box folder. I then started a new profile in Thunderbird on my new computer. It ran perfectly. I then thought running off Drop Box might not be the best idea since my Thunderbird files were so huge. I attempted to repeat the process an moved the same files onto my PC. This time time when I started the new profile all of the mail smtp and pop settings were in place but all of the mail folders and their contents were gone.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

How is the account set up in Thunderbird, as POP or IMAP? Find out using menu path Tools->Account Settings->Server Settings->Server Type at the top right of the dialogue.
iysys

Post by iysys »

it is a POP server.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

If you navigate to the profile folder and review the message files (those files with the same names as the folders listed in Thunderbird and with no file name extension) by viewing the file contents using a text editor, do they contain message data?