"Get Messages" not working when...

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
TTCC5511

"Get Messages" not working when...

Post by TTCC5511 »

"Get Messages" doesn't work for me anymore.

Well, actually it works if you use Thunderbird with seperate account folders, but since I sent all the mails to the "Local Folders", the "Get Messages" button doesn't work for any account directed to "Local Folders".

In the past, before the big update where the menus where re-organised (I'm not sure but I think very approximately one year ago.), it used to work for Local Folders as well.
DanRaisch

Re: "Get Messages" not working when...

Post by DanRaisch »

Moving to Thunderbird Support.

Check the settings for each of those accounts using menu path Tools->Account Settings->Server Settings->Advanced button->confirm that "Include this server when getting new mail" is selected.
bex1210

Post by bex1210 »

DanRaisch wrote:Moving to Thunderbird Support.

Check the settings for each of those accounts using menu path Tools->Account Settings->Server Settings->Advanced button->confirm that "Include this server when getting new mail" is selected.
Dan:

I have no such option "Include this server when getting new mail". I am running Thunderbird 60.0 on Windows 7 Pro (64 bit) SP1.

Harry
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

How is the account set up in Thunderbird, as POP or IMAP? Find out using menu path Tools->Account Settings->Server Settings->Server Type at the top right of the dialogue.
bex1210

Post by bex1210 »

DanRaisch:
DanRaisch wrote:How is the account set up in Thunderbird, as POP or IMAP? Find out using menu path Tools->Account Settings->Server Settings->Server Type at the top right of the dialogue.
I use IMAP. Sorry I didn't mention that. I didn't realize that the options in Thunderbird varied depending on whether one used IMAP or POP3.

Harry
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

IMAP accounts have a second method to discover new mail - in the server settings check "allow immediate server notifications when new messages arrive". Is that checked?

How are you automatically moving messages from the IMAP account to Local Folders? You state checking for new mail works before you redirected the mail to Local Folders. Are you using message filters or ....? IMAP accounts don't support a global inbox (like POP accounts do).

If you temporarily disable whatever method you used, does get messages work again?

If you use Local Folders only for new mail consider using a saved search folder (a virtual folder) which is configured to include the messages in every account's inbox. You could create that in Local Folders if you wanted and disable using message filters to move mail to a common folder. Despite the misleading name the virtual folder gets updated as soon as you open it. It will act as if it held all of those messages even though they are still physically stored in the accounts's inbox folders. This is similar to what view -> folders -> unified does, but on a smaller scale. You also have more control.

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Saved_Search
wsmwk

Post by wsmwk »

tanstaafl wrote:IMAP accounts have a second method to discover new mail - in the server settings check "allow immediate server notifications when new messages arrive". Is that checked?
Note - when the original post had been written it was (at least for imap), as DanRaisch wrote, under "Advanced" as ""Include this server when getting new mail". In version 45 https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=449021 it was reworded to be directly under server settings.
bex1210

Post by bex1210 »

tanstaafl:

Wasn't sure who you were addressing this to, so I answered the ones that seemed to apply to me.
tanstaafl wrote:IMAP accounts have a second method to discover new mail - in the server settings check "allow immediate server notifications when new messages arrive". Is that checked?
For each of my 6 IMAP accounts, Both 'Check for new messages at startup' and 'Check for new messages every xx minutes' are NOT checked. 'Allow immediate server notifications when new messages arrive' IS checked. I looked at the link wsmwk referenced, and I assumed that this option would give me a popup telling me that I had new messages. But maybe it downloads new messages when they arrive AND when I open Thunderbird. So can you explain exactly how it works? Because otherwise, I don't understand why Thunderbird is automatically downloading messages when I start the program.
How are you automatically moving messages from the IMAP account to Local Folders? You state checking for new mail works before you redirected the mail to Local Folders.
I automatically move the messages Thunderbird classifies as Junk, by setting two items under the 'Junk Settings' screen. I check 'Enable adaptive junk mail controls for this account', and under Destination and Retention, I check 'Move new junk messages to:', and I select '"Junk' folder on:', and enter Local Folders. As long as Thunderbird correctly classifies a message as junk (which it doesn't seem to do at a very high percentage, unfortunately) it is placed directly in the Junk folder on Local Folders.

Harry