MozillaZine

Deleting messages

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
PennsyNut

Post Posted August 23rd, 2017, 1:05 pm

Hi. Here I found a new problem, just started today. After I uninstalled Kapersky and added Comodo. ?? When I click the "delete" tab, the message stays and a red X appears. When I "transfer" the message by dragging from "Important" to a selected file/"Save for example, that red X appears. Sometimes the message disappears right away and sometimes it stays for a while and then disappears. ?? Prior to today, when I clicked delete or transfer, the message moved immediately without the red X. What did I inadvertently change?

DanRaisch

Post Posted August 23rd, 2017, 1:20 pm

How is the account set up in Thunderbird, as POP or IMAP? Find out using menu path Tools->Account Settings->Server Settings->Server Type at the top right of the dialogue.

PennsyNut

Post Posted August 23rd, 2017, 1:41 pm

Thanks Dan. I have 3 gmail and 1 yahoo email accounts in Tb. All 4 are "IMAP".

DanRaisch

Post Posted August 23rd, 2017, 2:41 pm

See what is selected under menu path Tools->Account Settings->Server Settings->"When I delete a message". If "Just mark it as deleted" is selected, that red X is the result. You may have been using a different option before this issue appeared.

PennsyNut

Post Posted August 23rd, 2017, 4:52 pm

Again, Dan, I thank you. I must have inadvertently done that. I did change all 4 to "junk @". But noticed that I can not send all junk to one file. It will be a junk file but under each email address. So now I have 6 different junk files. (Or Spam. What is the difference between spam and junk?) Clumsy. If there's any alternative to that, please advise.
Morgan,a PC novice.With Windows 10 64 bit, Comodo free, Fx 55.0.2, Tb 52.3.0. disabled SpyBot & Malwarebyte. Not working right with W 10.

DanRaisch

Post Posted August 24th, 2017, 4:52 am

No, you can actually pick the folder AND the account using menu path Tools->Account Settings->Junk Settings. But the Junk folder is not the intended target for deleted messages. There is a folder named Trash (or Deleted or Deleted Messages, depending on several factors). That folder is where all deleted messages for an account would normally be moved after the user determines they no longer wish to retain them in the email client. Messages for a given account are normally stored in folders unique to that account simply for better organization and management.
"Junk" is Thunderbird''s term for any messages the user considers undesirable. That could be classic spam ("Irrelevant or inappropriate messages sent on the Internet to a large number of recipients") or it could be messages sent only to you from Great-Aunt Mathilda who you really can't stand.

PennsyNut

Post Posted August 24th, 2017, 4:18 pm

Again, thanks Dan for the explanation. Just as I had thought. But: from what you say, Junk is Spam. So why different folders/files? And what looks weird to me is that one gmail account/#1 has all three, Junk, Spam and Trash, and is where I created separate "save" messages by subject or such. Examples are Medical and Financial, etc. Another gmail account/#2 has spam and trash, but no junk. And I move messages to the "save on #1" #3 gmail acct has trash and spam but in different order than #2. And again, I move messages to the "save on #1". And finally, the Yahoo account has trash, no junk nor spam, and has "bulk mail". Since I don't use Yahoo daily, maybe once a month or so, nothing passes through to Tb from Y but those occasional "once a month messages". And again, if I do "save" a yahoo message, it goes to "save on #1". That keeps all saved messages in one account set of files. And what I did in the "settings" is Server moves deleted messages to trash in that account, but Junk settings allows moving deleted to any "spam" folder. ??? Can you see why I am confused?

DanRaisch

Post Posted August 24th, 2017, 4:47 pm

The confusion is being caused by the email providers who use different names for the folders (or labels in the case of Gmail) rather than standardize. Thunderbird has only one name for folders like Trash or Junk (in the US English installations) but when you access IMAP accounts you may see the folder/label names as they are used on the server side. That's certainly the case with Yahoo's "Bulk Mail" terminology. If you want you can unsubscribe from some of those confusing IMAP folders --
https://superuser.com/questions/61585/w ... map-folder
https://www.liquidweb.com/kb/how-to-sub ... underbird/

Return to Thunderbird Support