MozillaZine

Spam Assassin

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
philiplevine

Post Posted August 28th, 2017, 4:53 am

Bluehost is my email host and Thunderbird my local client. I enabled Spam Assassin in the Bluehost Cpanel. So it would seem to be overkill to have that and Tbird junk mail enabled. Should I disable junk mail and then should I put a check box in 'trust junk mail headers by Spam Assassin or leave out that check mark.

Also - Spam Assassin will deliver some spam to a folder marked 'spam'. I still show the junk icon (the flame) an would like to change that to a folder icon. I feel that it wouldn't be recognized by Spam Assassin seeing that flame icon. I tried deleting it in the local roaming folder but each time I restart Tbird the flame reappears.
Phil

tanstaafl

Post Posted August 28th, 2017, 3:26 pm

You can configure the thunderbird junk mail controls to trust spam assassins judgement if you want. That is part of what the checkbox is for. You also need to edit the spamassassin.sfd file to tell Thunderbird how interpret the headers to tell whether SpamAssasin says its spam or not. See http://kb.mozillazine.org/Junk_Mail_Controls . You can change the junk mail controls spam folder to match the one used by SpamAsassin by editing the settings in copies & folders for the account

If you don't want to do that I'd add a message filter that knew how to test the custom headers added by SpamAssassin and treat it as spam or not depending upon the spam score.

philiplevine

Post Posted August 30th, 2017, 2:39 am

I've tried several things - I've unchecked 'enable junk mail controls for this account'...so I can run Spam Assassin independently but SA is taking some emails and marking them as spam even though those emails are from the same person I write to and receive from several times a day. Is my only option to whitelist them in SA or create a filter for them in SA? Or would it be better to enable junk mail controls and then click on 'do not mark message as junk if sender is in personal address book or collected addresses"?
Phil

tanstaafl

Post Posted August 30th, 2017, 8:41 am

If you're telling the junk mail controls to trust SA whitelisting somebody in TB will only effect the junk mail controls. I think you need to whitelist them in SA. In many implementations you just need to add somebody to your webmail contacts and then enable a checkbox in the spam management controls in webmail to white list them.

philiplevine

Post Posted August 30th, 2017, 10:53 am

so If I'm to understand - I have my entire address book in my webmail on buehost that I got from my TB address book. But when you say enable a checkbox in the spam management controls in webmail to whitelist them there is no checkbox in spam management controls in webmail. Are you saying to 'trust headers from Spam Assassin" in TB?
Phil

tanstaafl

Post Posted August 30th, 2017, 11:00 am

"there is no checkbox in spam management controls in webmail. "

Than you may be out of luck. My main email provider (fastmail.fm) has a menu (forget its name) in webmail where you can manage spam related stuff such as how aggressive spamassasin should be and whether webmail contacts should be whitelisted. I've seen similar stuff in other commercial email providers. I've never seen it in a free account.

philiplevine

Post Posted August 30th, 2017, 11:51 am

OK... SA is working really nicely anyway right now. I've whitelisted the emails that were marked as spam but were not and I've backlisted the emails that were not marked as spam but were. It looks nice...

Thanks for your responses
Phil

Return to Thunderbird Support