Thunderbird 53.2.0 Horrifically Slow (windows 10)

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
jshster

Thunderbird 53.2.0 Horrifically Slow (windows 10)

Post by jshster »

Hi guys,
Don't know what's happened but since this update my Thunderbird install is just running horribly. Instead of launching almost instantaneously it now takes up to 45 seconds before I see the inbox. I haven't changed anything on my system. My virus checker hasn't changed. My Windows install hasn't changed.
It's just this last update. Everything before that behaved fine.

Anyone else experiencing this issue? The total of all my mail folders is about 6GB. Could that be an issue?

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
tanstaafl

Re: Thunderbird 53.2.0 Horrifically Slow (windows 10)

Post by tanstaafl »

A total size of 6GB is not a problem. See if http://kb.mozillazine.org/Performance_-_Thunderbird gives you any ideas. One easy thing to check is running Thunderbird in safe mode (not to be confused with windows safe mode) via "help -> restart with add-ons disabled". Your problem might be an add-on that doesn't play nicely with the latest version of Thunderbird.

If none of this helps, consider installing an older copy of Thunderbird in a different directory (it will use the same profile) per http://kb.mozillazine.org/Go_back_to_an ... hunderbird to see if it really is a version specific problem.
DN123ABC

Post by DN123ABC »

I know my filters/filtering is a LOT slower lately.

Do you have any/many filters?

Try turning them off and see if speed improves at all.
jshster

Post by jshster »

DN123ABC wrote:I know my filters/filtering is a LOT slower lately.

Do you have any/many filters?

Try turning them off and see if speed improves at all.
While I do have a heap of mail filters that didn't help. Safe mode made it pretty obvious there is a big issue (35 seconds down to 15 seconds start time, including responding to the "are you sure you want to do this" dialog).

I've tried disabling my add-ons one at a time and none of them effect the load time at all. So just to be clear if I disable ALL of my add-ons manually and restart there is next to no performance improvement but if I restart with add-ons disabled (via the Help menu) then start time is dramatically improved (although I would argue still 100% slower than the previous version).

Hmmmm
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

Safe mode does more than disable all add-ons.

All extensions are disabled.
The default theme is used, without a persona.
The Just-in-time (JIT) JavaScript compiler is disabled.
The userChrome.css and userContent.css files are ignored.
The default toolbar layout is used.
Hardware acceleration is disabled.

Is hardware acceleration disabled? " You can verify this by looking at the "GPU Accelerated Windows" line in the graphics section near the bottom of the screen for help -> troubleshooting information. It is set to 0 if hardware acceleration is off. If it is on, then you should see something like 1/1 Direct3D 10. "
wsmwk

Post by wsmwk »

jshster wrote:Hi guys,
Don't know what's happened but since this update my Thunderbird install is just running horribly. Instead of launching almost instantaneously it now takes up to 45 seconds before I see the inbox. I haven't changed anything on my system. My virus checker hasn't changed.
Hi jshster.

Users sometimes report such problems after an update. It is however a mistatke to assume that because only Thundrebird changed that antivirus is not at fault - in fact AV often is at fault. So you don't need to resort to going to an older version.

A definitive test is to start WIndows in safe mode - if the problem doesn't exist in safe mode then you blame something that is starting during Windows startup, and antivirus software is only possibility.

A non-techinical workaround which often helps to "wake up" AV to work properly is delete the Thunderbird *program* directory and reinstall Thunderbird from https://www.thunderbird.net/en-US/ (Your data remains untouched) A more technical solution is make certain the Thunderbird program AND profile directory are excluded from scanning. For more background see https://wiki.mozilla.org/Thunderbird:Te ... nce_Issues