How to setup an existing email group email/distribution list

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
chessmonster123

How to setup an existing email group email/distribution list

Post by chessmonster123 »

We have an existing group email/distribution list, and I wish to set it up as an account inside thunderbird. When I am checking the options at Account Settings > Account Actions, it shows a drop down.

It shows mail, chat, feed and other account. I tried using the mail account add option but I think this won't work since our distribution email has no password. I also tried the other account option and it showed a newsgroup account addition dialog which I think is not the option that I am looking for.
DanRaisch

Re: How to setup an existing email group email/distribution

Post by DanRaisch »

Not sure how a Mailing List would be considered a potential email account. A mailing list is a set of contacts. It would not have an email provider, a single email address to which messages can be received or from which messages can be sent. What is your purpose in trying to do this?
chessmonster123

DanRaisch wrote:Not sure how a Mailing List would be considered a potential email account. A mailing list is a set of contacts. It would not have an email provider, a single email address to which messages can be received or from which messages can be sent. What is your purpose in trying to do this?
I'm working out on an automation program. And I need to setup my thunderbird to receive messages. Previously, I was only using my personal account but now I am being required to use a separate email address just for the purpose of the automation.

One option is to request the creation of a new email.

And this is the other one, the use of an existing distribution list. If this is not really feasible, then I might have to work on the creation of a separate email address for the automation that I am trying to do.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

You do want to have an existing email address when setting up an account in Thunderbird. The option to "Get a new mail account" will take you through a process to create an account with the one (as far as I recall) provider available through the new account wizard. You will be better off creating the account with a provider such as Google, Hotmail/Outlook, your ISP, or your corporate IT department. The information on that account can then be set up in Thunderbird using menu path File->New->Existing mail account.
chessmonster123

Thank you sir for clearing things up for me.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

You're welcome.