MozillaZine

Enter Password -- Again

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
Ellsinore

Post Posted August 30th, 2017, 9:44 am

I use password manager for my passwords. For several accounts, though I haven't changed the passwords, it keeps asking me to re-enter them. I am checking the box to use password manager to remember, but then in a day or two I'm asked to enter it again.

I've checked password manager and the correct passwords are there.

I'm concerned because someone who I share one of these accounts with had an odd occurrence on his Chromebook a couple of weeks ago and lost all of his work. He's been told (1) that's a known Chromebook glitch and (2) it was probably a ransomeware thing. We don't really know what happened.

Should I be concerned that I'm constantly being asked to enter these passwords? Thanks!

Dartman

Post Posted August 30th, 2017, 7:41 pm

I've been having the same problems. Was thinking it's an ISP problem, but haven't dug into it. I have three accounts and it rotates, so one account that wouldn't log in, now does, while the one that did, now doesn't. I haven't tried Thunderbird Safe Mode yet.
Alcohol and Calculus don't mix. Never drink and derive.

Ellsinore

Post Posted August 30th, 2017, 11:06 pm

I have a gazillion accounts and up until today it was just the one. Today, another popped up, as well as the one that's been a problem for a few weeks now. These are GMail accounts, if that matters. You know, now that I think about it, I had trouble with a few of them about a month ago -- the authentication method was set to OAuth2 and Googling that I found that it was a problem from a few years ago. So why was everything working fine up to that point? I hadn't changed anything. Another reason I'm not sure everything is a-okie-dokie. But I can't find anything, other than those weirdnesses -- to indicate I'm infected or hacked or . . . anything.

I haven't tried safe mode, either. Are your accounts with GMail?

emaharg

Post Posted August 31st, 2017, 12:19 am

I have just changed my gmail pasword..and now although I have deleted every saved password and re-enter the correct one, I continulaly get this mesage from TB when I try to download emails (using POP)

Sending of password for user gnlh01@gmail.com did not succeed. Mail server pop.googlemail.com responded: Web login required: https://support.google.com/mail/answer/78754
runs Chrome 59, Thunderbird 52 32bit, Windows 7 (64bit), uses TB with POP not IMAP

emaharg

Post Posted August 31st, 2017, 5:35 am

I have recently resolved this matter: in my case it was necessary to go into the Gmail "my Account", then "sign in and security", page down to "Connected apps and sites"settings, and select "allow less secure apps" - turn it ON
runs Chrome 59, Thunderbird 52 32bit, Windows 7 (64bit), uses TB with POP not IMAP

Ellsinore

Post Posted August 31st, 2017, 11:44 am

emaharg wrote:I have recently resolved this matter: in my case it was necessary to go into the Gmail "my Account", then "sign in and security", page down to "Connected apps and sites"settings, and select "allow less secure apps" - turn it ON

I do remember this "fix" from previous issues, but in this case those settings are already "on." Everything looks right in the Security settings, including "no issues."

Return to Thunderbird Support