WLMail data not imported correctly into Thunderbird?

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
Adela

WLMail data not imported correctly into Thunderbird?

Post by Adela »

[Dell desktop; Win10; Firefox; Thunderbird; RCN server; WLMail (which I’ll kill when I finish Tbird import)]

Hello, after a sweating path to learning how to import data into Thunderbird from WLMail, I see that:

1. It only shows around 2500 emails imported while I have over 100,000!
2. I don't see any of those imported emails in my Folder in "Local Folders"! Folder's empty!

I specifically indicated to import all messages from the directory and also sub-directories...I wonder what other instructions I should've indicated?

Did I do something wrong? I wonder if it also imports all the folders I made? Is there a way to test whether it imported even those 2500 since I don't see them?

I will appreciate your help a lot!
DanRaisch

Re: WLMail data not imported correctly into Thunderbird?

Post by DanRaisch »

It might be easier to answer your questions if we knew how you went about importing the data.
Adela

Post by Adela »

DanRaisch wrote:It might be easier to answer your questions if we knew how you went about importing the data.
Oh thank you Dan, I did the following:

Made up a folder in Local Folders: "IMPORTED EMAIL".

Installed ImportExportTools add on.

Right clicked on that folder and highlighted (and clicked on): ImportExportTools; Import all Messages from a Directory; And also from its SubDirectories.

This took me to another window in TBird (don't recall its name), with a space for a link.

Went to WLMail2012, copied the Email Storage Link and pasted it on the above mentioned space.

I hope I remembered all the steps. A couple of hours or so later, I was happy to see coming in many of my messages, folders, etc. But I do hope you can tell what I did wrong? I wish to uninstall the WLMail so if I haven't imported ALL of my files, I'll lose them forever. Also, I just noticed that I don't see my pictures imported, and I wonder what other things I may have left behind?

These imports got all bunched up at the left column, right below those that were already there, so I guess I'll have to re-import each of them into its proper category to keep some order? Unless there's a way to do it....magically? :mrgreen:

Thanks again for any help!
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

1. Your reference to an " Email Storage Link" confuses me. Are you referring to the directory in which the Windows Live Mail data was stored? Is that on the local hard drive or some external or network file share?
2. Did the import process not bring over the folder structure? That is, do you not now have new sub-folders of Local Folders that reflect the names of folders you had in WLM?
3. "I don't see my pictures imported." Where are you looking for pictures? Thunderbird stores attachments to messages (documents, images, etc.) in the same file as the message itself. Are you looking in imported messages for the images that were attached to them?
Adela

Post by Adela »

1. Are you referring to the directory in which the Windows Live Mail data was stored? Is that on the local hard drive or some external or network file share?
1. Yes, and I believe it's on the local hard drive as I don't have any external HDs or file share. The only thing I recently got is a backup cloud (CrashPlan), but this wouldn't change my storage folder would it?
2. Did the import process not bring over the folder structure? That is, do you not now have new sub-folders of Local Folders that reflect the names of folders you had in WLM?
2. Yes it did, but a little differently so at first sight I thought it didn't. I'll be able to fix it when I have time.
3. "I don't see my pictures imported." Where are you looking for pictures? Thunderbird stores attachments to messages (documents, images, etc.) in the same file as the message itself. Are you looking in imported messages for the images that were attached to them?
3. Oh yes, all the messages with pictures did come with them attached. But I referred to the pictures that are by themselves like Windows Live Photo Gallery, etc.

Besides the pictures, are there any other parts that I should import too before I delete WLM? I'm a little confused with the import and error messages, etc. so I can't think straight lol! Also what do you think I should do with the incoming msgs still arriving in WLM? Should I repeat the import? But then this would duplicate all the imported ones, right?

Thanks again so much!
Last edited by Adela on September 9th, 2017, 7:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

3. Oh yes, all the messages with pictures did come with them attached. But I referred to the pictures that are by themselves like Windows Live Photo Gallery, etc.
Those pictures are not part of WLM and Thunderbird has no functionality for displaying pictures that are not attached to messages. Removing the WLM program should not touch those pictures.
Also what do you think I should do with the incoming msgs still arriving in WLM? Should I repeat the import? But then this would duplicate all the imported ones, right?
Stop running WLM! If you have Thunderbird up and running there is no need to launch Windows Live Mail.
Adela

Post by Adela »

Will I be able to use the Windows Live Photo Gallery in Thunderbird?
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Thunderbird is an email client, not a photo viewing or slideshow program. As far as photos go, Thunderbird uses helper programs ( http://kb.mozillazine.org/Actions_for_a ... file_types ) when displaying attachments and doesn't show images other than those attached to messages. In a nutshell, I think the answer to your question is "No".