How to Install in Kubuntu

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
D-Daye

How to Install in Kubuntu

Post by D-Daye »

I've got Kubuntu 16.04 and used Firefox to download Tbird. Option to use Ark (15.12.3) was offered, it's a graphical interface. I agreed, used mouse to select the top level Thunderbird folder, and Ark showed all folders and files selected for action. I did an extract and it ran, and did something. But I don't know the Linux file system well at all, I don't know where Ark may have put the extracted files, whether I should have chosen or created a destination folder, and how to get Thunderbird integrated into the Kubuntu menus. Any help?
pete of ebor

Re: How to Install in Kubuntu

Post by pete of ebor »

not sure if this will be of much help, but I have an old PC running Lubuntu 16.10 which is a lightweight version of Ununtu for older less able PCs. Assuming Kubuntu is similar, can you not use the synaptic package manager to install TB ?
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Moving_from_W ... a_web_site hasn't been updated for years, but should still be useful.
flaneurb

Post by flaneurb »

D-Daye wrote:..., and how to get Thunderbird integrated into the Kubuntu menus. Any help?
Assuming you've managed to install Tbird in your home folder following tanstaafl's excellent guide, getting Tbird to show up in Kubuntu's menu would require you to create a .desktop file. I don't use Tbird, but the following are the contents of a .desktop file I made for Firefox 57 which I've installed in my home folder:

Code: Select all

[Desktop Entry]
Categories=Network;WebBrowser;
Comment=Access the Internet
Exec=/home/flaneur/NIGHTLY/firefox/firefox
GenericName=Web Browser
Icon=/home/flaneur/NIGHTLY/firefox/browser/icons/mozicon128.png
MimeType=text/html;image/webp;application/xml;
Name=MyFirefox
StartupNotify=true
Terminal=false
TerminalOptions=
Type=Application
Version=1.0
X-DBUS-ServiceName=
X-DBUS-StartupType=
X-KDE-SubstituteUID=false
X-KDE-Username=
Of course, you'll need to modify the code to suit your needs.