View, Sort, Group By Sort Question

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
tpaulr

View, Sort, Group By Sort Question

Post by tpaulr »

I have an odd thing going on with Thunderbird and can't understand how to fix it...

I just added another account to Thunderbird, duplicated all of the preferences from my other Gmail account, but I can't get the view to remain open.

It collapses, won't remember the sort.

I have it set to: date/ascending/group by sort.

I remember having this issue some years ago, but it wasn't selective, it was a universal issue which was corrected in the next version of T'Bird.

Thank you, in advance... :)
tanstaafl

Re: View, Sort, Group By Sort Question

Post by tanstaafl »

By view do you mean the folder listing? View -> layout -> classic view should enable a folder pane (list of accounts and folders) and a folder listing of the currently selected account. Whats optional is how you display a message (in a message pane, tab or window).

It might be easier to debug if you set view -> folders -> all. You might also try "help -> restart with add-ons disabled" to see if this is a side effect of some add-on that doesn't work well with the latest version of Thunderbird.
tpaulr

Post by tpaulr »

T.,

The layout is OK, no issues, I have it set that same way.

I only have Lightning as my sole add-on, it's not the issue.

View>Folders>All is my set preference.

My sort preference is always: View>Sort By>Date>Descending>Group By Sort.

In the new account I just added this morning, my inbox on that one Gmail account doesn't remain open, my inbox collapses into just a heading that says "Last 7 Days", the saved emails are rolled up into that heading.

It happens when I open T'Bird, go to another email account to do something, or go to Firefox and come back, when I leave that inbox, it collapses into just a heading or headings, depending upon how many emails I have and how long they've been in my inbox.

Preferences are saved on one of my accounts, won't on the new one.

I don't know how else to explain this: my inbox collapses into the date headings, that's as simple as I can explain it.

Am I making sense? ](*,)
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

"my inbox collapses into just a heading that says "Last 7 Days", the saved emails are rolled up into that heading."

"Grouped by sort" is why its adding headings such as last 7 days, today etc. You may not see all of the headings it adds because you don't have recent enough mail in that account. Choose date, descending, unthreaded instead if you want to avoid those types of headings. If you like to see messages organized by conversations, choose threaded instead.
tpaulr

Post by tpaulr »

T.,

Sorry for the delay, Saturdays are Saturdays...

I know what "Grouped By Sort" does, that is the way I want my email, by date. I don't want to avoid the sorted setting, it's a conscience preference.

I think I found the trick I was looking for from earlier this year:

"The way it works is that if you 'Collapse all' or 'Expand all' in View->Threads, that state will be persisted across folder exit and restart. If you individually open all threads in a collapse all state, it is still collapse all if you return to the folder and vice versa.

In Group By view, in by Date only, it was hardcoded to remember open state of each of the 5 date buckets. In the course of fixing the major brokenness in Group By view, this is no longer true, and a regression."

Thanks so much... :)