Problem reading messages after re install

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
AZSinbad

Problem reading messages after re install

Post by AZSinbad »

I get something that says content was blocked. Why??? I want to be able to read my email. I also want to read it in the bottom half but only see notifications of what I have received.
This worked before but since reinstall of windows nothing but problems.
Not happy about this and wish I still had windows live instead. :( :( :( :( :( :(
tanstaafl

Re: Problem reading messages after re install

Post by tanstaafl »

If you got a HTML message with remote images it will display a yellow banner at the top of the messages contents saying that to protect your privacy it has blocked the remote images. It will also display a Options button to the right that you can use to enable/white list different sources of remote images. Click on that button and select the sender at the bottom of the list box to enable images in all messages sent from that email address. The wording will be something like "allow remote content from user@domain.com".

See http://kb.mozillazine.org/Privacy_basics_-_Thunderbird (some wording in the screen shot has changed but the article is basically correct). You can totally disable this feature if you want, though I recommend that you just whitelist people that you frequently get email from instead. If you get mail from a number of people from the same domain (where you don't know who they may be ahead of time) you can whitelist a domain .

If you've been using Thunderbird for a while I would have expected you to have run into this before. This feature has been there for about a decade, though the details have changed several times. I'm skeptical re-installing Windows had any effect unless you did not reuse your old Thunderbird profile when you re-installed Windows. Perhaps the old profile might have whitelisted enough senders that its been a long time since you've had remote images blocked, and forgot that feature existed. If you're using a new profile you would not have any of the whitelisting you had before.
tanstaafl

Re: Problem reading messages after re install

Post by tanstaafl »

There are three different locations that you could use to read mail - in a message pane, a tab or a window. If you press F8 or select view -> layout -> message pane (I assume you have the menu bar enabled and aren't using the hamburger button) it will display a message pane underneath the folder listing, that you can read the currently selected message in.

I'm assuming you also selected view -> layout -> classic view and didn't uncheck "Folder pane".