Does thunderbird support outlook mailboxes?

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
chessmonster123

Does thunderbird support outlook mailboxes?

Post by chessmonster123 »

In our organization, we have a group email like automation@org.com, then my email is under that group email, personalemail@org.com.

Before, when someone sends automation@org.com an email, it will be sent to my personal email, personalemail@org.com.

Now, the settings on our group email was changed, a mailbox was added. What happens now is that when someone sends an email to automation@org.com, it will go the the mailbox instead of the personalemail@org.com.

If I use outlook, the mailbox will appear automatically with my personal email. So there's 2 mailboxes on my outlook, personal and the group's mailbox.

My issue is, how do I make this mailbox appear in thunderbird? I am not receiving any emails from the group email because it is being automatically routed to the mailbox. Or is this will only work with outlook?

I'm sorry if I confused you, to summarize. we have a group email, personal email, and the mailbox. When someone sends an email to the group email, it redirects to the mailbox.

Is there a way to also show the outlook mailbox in thunderbird?
tanstaafl

Re: Does thunderbird support outlook mailboxes?

Post by tanstaafl »

Thunderbird supports public IMAP folders. That is a way to let somebody use folders in another persons mailbox without having an account for that mailbox. It requires the sever admin to set the ACLs to grant permission to access the public folder(s) and adding the mailbox in your personal accounts server settings, in advanced, under public (shared).

This doesn't require granting access to all of the folders in whatever mailbox they are in. The admin can also vary permissions for each user wanting to use one of the public folders.

If your server doesn't support that then you needs to add a account for the group email address. That would be a shared account. Any mail in that mailbox will not show up in your personal account, it would show up in its own account.
tanstaafl

Re: Does thunderbird support outlook mailboxes?

Post by tanstaafl »

Another solution would be to go to webmail and see if you can configure it to include mail sent to other accounts, such as the group email address, in your account. If you do that the group mail would show up in your personal account in Thunderbird, but it requires you to have the username/password for the other account. The public folder approach does not require you to have the username/password, instead it requires an admin to grant you access by setting ACLs (access control lists).

Outlook.com, yahoo, and gmail for example support automatically fetching new mail from other accounts and merging it in your account's inbox. Thunderbird is oblivious to all that, all it knows is that when it checks for new mail its in the inbox. It doesn't care how it got there.