Suddenly can't get email from Gmail pop acct

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
kdring

Suddenly can't get email from Gmail pop acct

Post by kdring »

Zero changes to my configuration.

As far as I can tell, the last successful retrieval of email from the Gmail POP server was on September 29, 2017 at around 9:30 am, Pacific Time.

Other POP accounts are working fine.

When I attempt to get messages from the account, it seems to log in just fine. I get the normal login information across the status line at the bottom of the window. Then, for a brief moment, the status reads, "Downloading message 1 of 187..." (or whatever the number now is) and then quickly changes to "No new messages".

I can't find any information about changes to the Gmail POP server. Any thoughts or ideas? Again, absolutely NO changes on my end.
DanRaisch

Re: Suddenly can't get email from Gmail pop acct

Post by DanRaisch »

Close Thunderbird. Log onto Gmail using a browser and review and then delete the oldest message in the server inbox that has not yet been downloaded to Thunderbird. Launch Thunderbird and see if the messages come through.
kdring

Post by kdring »

Thanks, Dan. I'll give that a go and report back.
kdring

Post by kdring »

That worked. Thank you, Dan.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

You're welcome.
hangwaiter1

Post by hangwaiter1 »

Struggled with similar problem. Althoughi t was IMAP. Thunderbird worked fine on 3 gmail accounts for many years. Suddenly no new mails were downloaded.
Deleting the accounts and adding them again did not help. Even had problems to find the settings automatically again. Searched many forums, NOTHING worked.
Then I went to (windows 10) system settings - security - windows firewall and found out, that thunderbird was missing from the list of exceptions which can communicate across the firewall. Added Thunderbird.exe to that list, restarted the computer. Voila, I was able to add the gmail accounts to thunderbird and immediately ALL mails were downloaded. So this was not a Thunderbird problem, but related to some §$%&""$% automatic update from the nice guys at the windows factory.