MozillaZine

Welcoming clarification to understand how TB deals with imap

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
Sabin

Post Posted October 17th, 2017, 7:13 am

Hello,

I noticed something, and I don't know if it is a bug, or if it is the normal way for thunderbird to work. Would someone have a minute to tell me how you feel about it, if it something that is normal, or that I should seek to fix?

Here's the thing.
- I have thunderbird on my desktop PC, it works fine.
- I recently added my email accounts to my smartphone to read them away from home, I use the gmail app to manage all of them, with four different providers.
- In both my local thunderbird on desktop, and in gmail app on android, I made sure that every email account is configured to use the IMAP login rather than pop3 option. I noticed, though, there is no particular outbound server for sending mail, it's the same server host as before.
- Yesterday, I replied to several new emails while I was away from home, I did it in the gmail app.
- And today, I notice that my thunderbird has fetched the incoming emails, including the ones to which I replied... however TB has not fetched a copy, for synchronization of sorts, of the replies that I sent.

Is that normal, that Thunderbird only fetches inbound emails, and doesn't care to fetch outbound emails?

After all, in the gmail app, I can view that each email account has its own or shared "sent email" folder, in which a copy of the emails that I have sent is kept, so it's not as if there was no trace left that Thunderbird couldnt' duplicate for its own uses?

Thanks if someone can tell me :)

DanRaisch

Post Posted October 17th, 2017, 7:51 am

That might depend on how you have Thunderbird set to handle Sent messages. Is it subscribed to the Gmail Sent folder? https://www.pcworld.com/article/250202/ ... tions.html

tanstaafl

Post Posted October 17th, 2017, 6:18 pm

Gmail accounts use a "sent mail" folder as the sent folder. It should be subscribed automatically but that could have been messed up by not enabling a sent folder in "copies & folders" to avoid duplicates (the Gmail SMTP server automatically saves a copy in sent items). You could either subscribe it or tell Thunderbird to show all folders by UNchecking "show only subscribed folders" in tools -> account settings -> gmail -> server settings -> advanced

Another possibility is that folder is underneath a grey [Gmail] folder. You can re-arrange the folder hierarchy to get rid of that quirk by setting [Gmail] as the IMAP server in tools -> account settings -> gmail -> server settings -> advanced and restarting Thunderbird.

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Gmail

Return to Thunderbird Support