MozillaZine

Multiple users accessing the same TB folder structure?

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
mikeymike

Post Posted October 24th, 2017, 1:06 am

A customer has a few users who would like to be able to access the same mail folder structure, potentially simulataneously.

A simple way to do it would be to have a separate IMAP account that is accessible by all three but that introduces unnecessary extra structure around an already crowded folder list.

I was thinking that all three have access to Windows mapped network drives and I could set a symlink/junction out of the 'Local Folders' which I've changed into a networked archive folder structure, the only thing I'm unsure about is whether TB will have a fit if two users tried to access the same mail folder simultaneously.

tanstaafl

Post Posted October 24th, 2017, 11:15 am

Multiple users using the same profile or "local directory" on a file share will be annoying due to file locking. Its not recommended.

IMAP accounts are designed to do what you want. If you don't want to create a extra shared IMAP account (for them to use in addition to their personal account) see if you can create a "public" folder for their IMAP account. That is specified using tools -> account settings -> account_name -> server settings -> advanced, and requires the server admin to set ACLs on the mail server to let the individuals access those remote folders as part of their personal account.

If the folder pane is crowded due to too many accounts see if http://kb.mozillazine.org/Replace_sever ... ne_account helps. They could also unsubscribe some folders, that just hides them.

Return to Thunderbird Support