Junk won't move from inbox to junk folder

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
tanstaafl

Re: Junk won't move from inbox to junk folder

Post by tanstaafl »

Are both IMAP accounts?

If its a IMAP account does webmail (login using a browser) still have the same problem copying a message to that folder? I got the impression that was initially true, which is why you replaced the folder.

If you look in tools -> account settings -> gmail -> server settings what is "Message Store Type" set to? Its near the bottom, in the Message Storage section.

See http://kb.mozillazine.org/Deleting_mess ... P_accounts . You might want to set mail.imap.expunge_option to 2 using the config editor if you can't get it to compact folders. That setting only effects IMAP accounts. It will "expunge the deleted messages when there are at least 20 messages waiting to be expunged." Expunge is a way to physically remove a deleted message that doesn't involve compacting.
ep2012
Location: If you aren't fighting in this war, YOU are part of the problem!

Post by ep2012 »

Actually no, these 3 are gmail accounts, so they are POP.
Ignoring the Truth about what is going on will NOT make it go away, it will only help those who are destroying US!
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

I had written "Create a new folder, lets call it spam. Tell the junk settings its the new junk folder. Move any junk messages you want to keep from "junk" into "spam". Delete the junk folder. Empty the trash and compact the folders.

If you want, afterwards you could temporarily disable the junk mail controls, rename spam to junk, and renable the junk mail controls, specifying junk as the junk folder. But I wouldn't bother.
" and you replied "I did all of that & it's still not working :( I had forgotten to compact, but even after doing that it's not working"

Junk mail is not moved to that folder, but you can manually copy or move messages to it?
What happens when you select a message in the inbox and press the 'J' key?
ep2012
Location: If you aren't fighting in this war, YOU are part of the problem!

Post by ep2012 »

So this has been sort of fixed now thanks to Wayne who took the time to come onto my computer & show me how to use this add-on called FolderFlags.

I'm pretty sure it's a known bug for some.

Here's what you have to do.

1. Install the add-on
2. Right click on the junk folder
3. Go to properties
4. Go to flags & uncheck the flags checkbox
5. Press Ok
6. Create a new junk folder
7. Go back into properties for that new folder
8. Go to flags & recheck the flags checkbox
9. Press Ok
10. Make sure in your account settings for that e-mail account is pointing to the junk folder
11. Go back to the inbox for the account with all the junk mail & make it junk again & now it should file into the junk folder

HTH
Ignoring the Truth about what is going on will NOT make it go away, it will only help those who are destroying US!