IMAP setting in TBird & live mail match- Can't send new Mail

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
mcalpine

IMAP setting in TBird & live mail match- Can't send new Mail

Post by mcalpine »

Hi I have looked at my setting in thunderbird for the server ports 993 IMAP and SMTP 587 and also at the settings in my live mail accounts too. I do have 5 live mail/ hotmail accounts which also do carry the same server information when checked online individually as thunderbirds. I looked in the account settings to find these in thunderbird to check all matches. I have also set live mail to the default server in the outgoing server settings and also secondly clicking the "account actions" button below and then setting to default too. Although I don't know what that second action does but tried it to see if "anything" would help my situation. As far as I am aware all was good with my accounts and now suddenly I cannot send email from thunderbird. I haven't worked out why and wondered if you could point me in the right direction in my desperation. I have Linux ubuntu. Perhaps it was one of the updates in that ? Although maybe it is a simpler situation you know about. I can reply to mail but I can't send new mail I should also mention. I have one gmail account alongside the other microsoft ones I own.

Thanks ever so much.
tanstaafl

Re: IMAP setting in TBird & live mail match- Can't send new

Post by tanstaafl »

See http://kb.mozillazine.org/Hotmail and http://kb.mozillazine.org/Gmail for the correct settings.

What is the full text of the error message?

Are you still able to send mail from the corresponding webmail account? I'm not suggesting it as a workaround, but to verify that your corresponding Microsoft account is still valid and you don't have a captcha (which Thunderbird doesn't know how to deal with).

Just to be clear, does the gmail account have the same problem?

Are you using a Mozilla build or one from the Ubuntu distro? You can get help for both here, but there are some differences. What version does help -> about thunderbird say you are using?
mcalpine

Post by mcalpine »

I have the correct settings as checked as I said, and it is the same as the ports in the article you suggested too. I get sending of message failed as an error when I press cancel due to it not carrying through and sending- so essentially it is looking for a server it can't seem to find continuously with no sending result. Then on some of the hotmail ones accounts it does get to an error eventually. They may all essentially do this if I waited long enough, as follows -

Sending of the message failed.
An error occurred while sending mail: Outgoing server (SMTP) smtp-mail.outlook.com is unknown. The server may be incorrectly configured. Please verify that your Outgoing server (SMTP) settings are correct and try again.

The server however is correct and if you doubt that re- read my first post again to show what I did. I used app passwords when I had used identity authentification as a second layer of protection and normal passwords when I did not use two step authentification. This might be confusing the server in some way when in conjunction with thunderbird even though I have it done correctly for direct account online use & thunderbird alike. Although this is pure speculation of course in this paragraph it may not logically be the case. I am undating from the distro when they send me updates- it says 52.4.0 (64-bit). Gmail as ever works fine in all aspect, microsoft is always the culprit I find with thunderbird for general problems. It is possible that the way thunderbird sucks things in with all the different accounts I have of microsoft that they dislike this from there servers and are just being awkward towards us- again pure speculation. I just had a thought about the 72 day rule that microsoft ask if you want in place to remind you to change passwords after that amount of time on an ongoing basis. I can check that tomorow- although app passwords should get round that I would of thought. If I reset up all my accounts on microsoft perhaps that could help anyway ? Although it takes a while to set everything up again for thunderbird.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

"Outgoing server (SMTP) smtp-mail.outlook.com is unknown."

Ping it from a console window (use the CMD program to create one. Its installed as part of Windows) to see if you have a DNS problem.

Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.16299.19]
(c) 2017 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\Eric>ping smtp-mail.outlook.com

Pinging outlook.ms-acdc.office.com [40.97.168.98] with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 40.97.168.98: bytes=32 time=27ms TTL=238
Reply from 40.97.168.98: bytes=32 time=29ms TTL=238
Reply from 40.97.168.98: bytes=32 time=38ms TTL=238
Reply from 40.97.168.98: bytes=32 time=26ms TTL=238

Ping statistics for 40.97.168.98:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 26ms, Maximum = 38ms, Average = 30ms

If using a app password created a problem I would have expected it to effect the IMAP account too (since you should be using the same password for the IMAP and SMTP server).
mcalpine

Post by mcalpine »

I have windows operating system to do the pinging but wondered why I was not using Linux to do this ? My Thunderbird is in Linux ? Did you still want me to do it from windows ? Also the version of thunderbird is 52.4.0 (64-bit). It is updated along with all the operating system updates in Linux when it comes through centrally- part of the disto I guess yes.

I am baffled by the whole situation as it was working fine and then all of a sudden I got an issue with thunderbird not working. Could be a bug for linux or a bug in Thunderbird for my type of situation- explained below in more detail. My Ubuntu distro is the 14.04 LTS the slightly older one supported till 2019 though I think.

The detail :-

I do get problems with microsoft in general when using Linux without thunderbird too. I solved this by using thunderbird "which fooled them into thinking they were new accounts" which I hoped might work. Now they have sussed me I think. I wonder if there is a conspiracy against Linux users or a slowing down when not using the windows op. or from using to many FREE accounts at once from Microsoft. I fear I will have to change all my accounts to gmail which never "ever" has been a problem for me. I think gmail gives 5 free accounts max, not sure.

Thanks for helping- perhaps we can confuse microsoft again and add some more trick settings to get thing going ?

PIng on windows or Linux ?
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

I didn't notice that you were using Linux. There is no reason to run ping from Windows if you are using Linux.

I was hoping that this was a temporary problem with your ISP, or with your DNS server. If pinging the mail server failed, that would seem to confirm that. If it was due to your ISP that would probably get fixed on its own within a few days. If it was due to a overloaded DNS server configuring your PC to use a primary and a secondary DNS server should help. Make the primary a public DNS server such as googles (8.8.8.8), and the secondary, your ISPs.

https://www.lifewire.com/free-and-publi ... rs-2626062
mcalpine

Post by mcalpine »

Awesome thought I will have a go with this or get back to you if I don't understand anything. Thank you !
mcalpine

Post by mcalpine »

Just to say that also what I forgot to mention may be the most important -

I have an android phone. What I did is I added a hotmail account to "into" my gmail app since it allows other accounts into it. This then allowed me to receive and send all the majority of my emails on my phone via the gmail app on my phone using either account. However as soon as I did that it then stopped allowing me sending messages from thunderbird in from ALL my microsoft accounts "only". Like I say however I can still send emails from my microsoft accounts online directly, but not in thunderbird.

Do you have an answer for any of this or is it best to ask Microsoft to reset my accounts or something ?