Too Many Address Books- How to Fix ?

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
rodhudson

Too Many Address Books- How to Fix ?

Post by rodhudson »

Over the years my number of Address Books seems to have grown ! I now have 2 Personal.....1 Current......1 Address1....and 1 Collected.

The result of this is that 'ALL ADDRESSES' now contains a large number of Duplicates, which I think is confusing the issue, as I am now finding important emails going into JUNK.

These are in most of my Address Books, but not in All of them.

So what will be the best way to sort this out ?
DanRaisch

Re: Too Many Address Books- How to Fix ?

Post by DanRaisch »

Thunderbird has only two default address book upon installation: Personal Address Book and Collected Addresses. The others could have been added manually or by importing data from outside of Thunderbird. Do you know when/why you created the additional address books?

You might find this extension helpful -- https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/thunde ... t-manager/
rodhudson

Post by rodhudson »

I think they may have got created when I was moving from one machine to another, using something that may have been called LPID....or maybe not !

Can't remember now.

I was thinking of exporting them all, and then running them through a Duplicates Program, to end up with just the Main and then a new Collected.

[I seem to remember finding the ' Exporting and Importing ' a bit of a hassle !]
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Exporting and importing is not as complicated when the source is Thunderbird. Things line up better then when trying to bring in data from other programs.
rodhudson

Post by rodhudson »

OK. Thanks for that.

I'll give it a go !
rodhudson

Post by rodhudson »

Well - I have now exported all the address books as .csv files, concatenated them through Excel, and then removed the Duplicates.

I then deleted all the Address book files, [ except for ADDRESSES-1.......which said if I deleted this Thunderbird would no longer 'Collect Addresses' !
Not really sure what that meant, so I just deleted the contents instead, but left the file.

I then re-imported the 'new' file, which all went well. But unfortunately has not had the desired effect, as I am still getting the same emails as before [ only a handful] going straight into JUNK.

They are definitely in my Address books, so have no idea how this can be happening. One of them emails me on a daily basis, and has been for 5 years.....and for the last 2 weeks gone straight to JUNK, in spite of the above changes.

Anyone got any ideas ?
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Have you set the Junk Mail Controls to use your Personal Address Book as a White List, that is to accept messages from contacts in that book as "Not Junk"?
rodhudson

Post by rodhudson »

Not sure.

But as it's only happening to about 5 out of 1500, I assume it's as it should be.

Will check it out.
rodhudson

Post by rodhudson »

Done that. All the Address Books were ticked, but I have now unticked the 'empty ones', just leaving the 'New' full one ticked.

I'll see if that makes any difference.

I haven't made any changes to these settings for years, so not sure why this problem should suddenly have started.

I do get hundreds of JUNK emails a day, which works well.

Not sure why 'proper' emails should suddenly start going in there. On 3 different PC's as well. All the same !
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

If it is already set that way you may want to reset the Junk Mail data base as described in the link I posted above.
rodhudson

Post by rodhudson »

Hoping not to have to do that. 400 emails a day is a LOT of 'Training' !

I'm going to try new Filters, specifically for the ones that are going to JUNK but shouldn't be.
rodhudson

Post by rodhudson »

New Filters in place, but making no difference !

I have had various problems over the years, and on a previous one you told me it was down to 'quantity'. So I now start a new 'empty' version every 6 months......... but am wondering if even this is no longer enough.

Is 'quantity' generally an issue with T-BIRD ?

I'm really hoping not to have to 'change', as I think it's a terrific program, and suits me down to the ground - apart from these 'hiccups' !
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

See this article for information on Thunderbird's "limits" -- http://kb.mozillazine.org/Limits_-_Thunderbird