How Do I Install Import/ExportTools?

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
skuddle

How Do I Install Import/ExportTools?

Post by skuddle »

I downloaded version 3.2.5 and it's an xpi file. The download site says to open Thunderbird (I'm using version 52.4), select Tools > Add-Ons > Install but I don't have an Install function. How do I install the IETools utility?
* HP Pavilion Desktop 510-p114
* Windows 10 Home 22H2 19045.4046
* Firefox 123; Thunderbird 115.8
tanstaafl

Re: How Do I Install Import/ExportTools?

Post by tanstaafl »

See http://kb.mozillazine.org/Importing_folders

"Go to Tools -> Addons -> Extensions. Select the icon that looks like a gear (its actually a list box) near the top of the window and then "Install add-on from file". If you can't find the gear like icon you are probably looking on the Get Add-ons pane, not the Extensions pane.
Browse to where you downloaded the .xpi file, select it and press Open.
It will then display a "Software Installation" screen with a grayed out "Install" button. After a couple of seconds it will finish processing the .xpi file and replace that button with a "Install Now" button. Press the button."
skuddle

Post by skuddle »

Thank you for your post. I followed the instructions and it worked nicely. Yesterday I didn't notice the Gear icon (shame on me). I'm so grateful for your help and now I will try to recover all of my emails.

For some reason I was able to log in without errors this morning, but after closing and reopening TB my login failed using the same credentials.
* HP Pavilion Desktop 510-p114
* Windows 10 Home 22H2 19045.4046
* Firefox 123; Thunderbird 115.8
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

It might be a temporary problem with the mail server. I've had the same thing happen with yahoo and outlook accounts.