huge tmp files in IMAP folders

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
enboig

huge tmp files in IMAP folders

Post by enboig »

I use roaming profiles and in roaming profile appear huge tmp files, with several users:

.../Roaming/Thunderbird/Profiles/efggqjx8.default/ImapMail/mail.example.com/{1ccaa4e1-4203-490a-902e-bfb5eec93d17}.tmp

How can avoid or make thunderbird delete them?

thanks.
tanstaafl

Re: huge tmp files in IMAP folders

Post by tanstaafl »

No idea what its from, but I doubt its due to your storing your profile in roaming profiles. Normally you have a single MsgFilterRules.dat file for the message filters, mbox files (example: "inbox."), index files (example: "inbox.msf") and *.sbd directories to create a mail folder hierarchy in the accounts local directory. Nothing else.

Check your operating systems settings for where temporary files are created. The file name is also unusual, it seems like a GUID. Try searching the contents of your messages for a match for that string. If you find one, use view -> message source or control->U to look at the raw message source and search for where it occurs in the message.
enboig

Post by enboig »

I looked inside the files and they look like an "old version" of a mbox file. I think thunderbird should delete them automatically after checking them. I just use IMAP accounts so its impossible to lose messages by deleting them (at least in my case).

Is there a way to wipe them automatically? or with an extension?
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

I don't understand what caused them, so I can't answer that. I have 8 IMAP accounts in my profile and a search for *.tmp finds nothing.
enboig

Post by enboig »

I will delete them manually in the computer and the server (windows with roaming profiles...) and check if they come back. I will report after this
wsmwk

Post by wsmwk »

You posted from a linux system. Are the users on Windows, and this does not happen to all your users who are using roaming?