One more try for Junk.....

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
TDV

One more try for Junk.....

Post by TDV »

What do I do, to have JUNK mails sent directly to the junk folder? It says: you must identify the junk toolbar button to mark the message as junk.
There is NO junk toolbar! There is only a yellow line, which gives me ONE choice: to change the already correct marking by Thunderbird as junk, to NOT JUNK.

The message is already marked as Junk by Thunderbird and there is NO toolbar where I can confirm that it is indeed junk... yet all following mails from that address again and again appear in my inbox!

What do I do, to have JUNK mails sent directly to the junk folder?
tanstaafl

Re: One more try for Junk.....

Post by tanstaafl »

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Junk_Mail_Controls

I don't know what you're referring to by "it says".

You just need to select the message and press the 'J' key to mark a message as junk. However, if you want you can customize the main toolbar to add a Junk button by right clicking on the toolbar, selecting customize, dragging the junk button to the toolbar and pressing done. The way to confirm that a message is marked as junk is to enable the junk status field in the folder listing by clicking on the small weird control at the far right of the column headers (its actually a list box widget just above the vertical scroll bar) and select "Junk Status".

Check the accounts junk settings if junk mail is not moved to the junk folder. You have to enable that and specify what folder it should use as the junk folder.
TDV

Post by TDV »

"I don't know what you're referring to by "it says".
When I say "it say", I mean in the junk settings in the account settings, and there it is the very first thing it says

"You just need to select the message and press the 'J' key to mark a message as junk."
The messages are already marked as junk with the yellow icon. My problem is, that that in spite of that, they still turn up in the Inbox.

"You have to enable that and specify what folder it should use as the junk folder."
The junk folder is clearly selected in those settings

"...and select "Junk Status". "
There is no junk status to mark, there is only Mark > as junk, which as I wrote is already marked.

And still mail from the same senders will appear in the inbox instead of the Junk Folder.

Basically: if I mark mail from a sender as JUNK; why does Thunderbird not believe that and act accordingly?
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

Please re-read what I said about select "junk status". It is not something to mark a message as junk, its a field you can enable in the folder listing to show if its marked as junk.

See whether you can manually copy/move messages to the junk folder. If you can't then there is probably something wrong with that folder and it needs to be replaced.
TDV

Post by TDV »

Thanks, but that is no help:

"... its a field you can enable in the folder listing to show if its marked as junk. "

First of all: It is really extremely stupid that no screenshots can posted here

What is a field? Is it a square box that can be ticked on and off? What is the folder listing and where is it???
I have activated everything that can somehow be activated, but NOWHERE is there anything that says "Junk Status".

What is the folder listing and where is it?

There is "Account settings" and in it there is Junk Settings, but nowhere any "Junk Status"
In Tools, there is options and there is another Junk settings in Security, but again NO Junk Status anywhere
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Posting_a_scr ... _the_forum
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Window_layout_-_Thunderbird

"junk status" is one of the columns you can enable in the folder listing (list of messages for the currently selected folder). That setting is folder specific, though the list box to set it has a "apply columns to" option at the bottom to lets other folders inherit that setting. See https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/me ... st-columns .
TDV

Post by TDV »

I am sorry, but there is no other way to express this: Are you serious?
I am supposed to waste hours on studying something as sophisticated as MAKING SPAM ENDING IN THE SPAM FOLDER; BECAUSE THUNDERBIRD CANNOT DO THAT?

I will simply manually move and a find another mail software... You know that EVERY E MAIL PROVIDER CAN DO IT ?
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

I realize you are frustrated but you're over-generalizing. Most people have no problem with Thunderbird moving spam into the junk folder. You never answered my question: "See whether you can manually copy/move messages to the junk folder. If you can't then there is probably something wrong with that folder and it needs to be replaced."