Massive spam & filters help

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
love10001212

Massive spam & filters help

Post by love10001212 »

Hi all-

Somehow, an email I only use privately that almost never gets spam got on some list and I'm getting 25+ emails a day, all from the same source (various from emails in the headers and email.) Unsubscribe link and ALL links for that matter are broken and give errors - even the items they are trying to push! Searched and found whois and info for all the sources and emails and had zero success getting anywhere though there is some info and location, address, etc listed. First time in nearly 20 years this has happened :(

I set up a filter from the main email they use as the from; however it only works when I manually run that filter. Every time I open TB I see 5, 10 15 + emails in spam and nothing has been filtered. When I run it, they all go to trash as instructed.

Do the filters only run on the inbox for auto, but the entire selected folder when done manually?

I also set this up within gmail but they are still getting through.

Any suggestions would be great. I can't imagine why a program would be set up to mass spam people with 100% of the links broken...but such is the net :)
DanRaisch

Re: Massive spam & filters help

Post by DanRaisch »

Do the filters only run on the inbox for auto, but the entire selected folder when done manually?
Filters do run automatically only on the Inbox.
Do you have the Junk Mail Controls active in Thunderbird? http://kb.mozillazine.org/Junk_Mail_Controls
love10001212

Post by love10001212 »

Aha, nothing is checked under junk - what should those settings be?

Also if the emails are already flagged as spam and going into the spam folder, are they skipping the filter? (When I manually run it moves them from the spam to trash though)

Thanks!
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Is that Gmail account set up in Thunderbird as an IMAP type account?
love10001212

Post by love10001212 »

Yes imap
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

It will take some time for Thunderbird to automatically identify those emails as Junk but it should get to do that if you help it by marking each such message as Junk and any false positives as "Not Junk".

You'll want to set it to move Junk messages to either the Junk or Trash folder under menu path Tools->Account Settings->Junk Settings and also click on the "Global Junk Preferences" button in that dialogue.

Keep in mind that your filter is only evaluating messages newly arriving to the Inbox folder. Gmail should be identifying spam on the server side but those should then appear in TB's Junk folder.
love10001212

Post by love10001212 »

My goal is for them to go directly to trash. I'm a little confused how I should be using the gmail spam filter along with the thunderbird junk settings and thunderbird filter, and what the "order" is I guess. What is the easiest way to get them right into the trash (not spam) upon coming in?

Thank you!
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Filtering on the Gmail server should put the messages into the Gmail Trash/Deleted folder before they ever reach Thunderbird. With the IMAP account you can access the content of that Trash/Deleted folder in Thunderbird if you wish to review them but Thunderbird would not have to act on them.
love10001212

Post by love10001212 »

Ok, I have a gmail filter set up and it looks like this (below) but does not seem to be working.

Matches: from:(scholarship@hostgator.com) has:attachment -in:chats
Do this: Delete it

When I open TB, they are all filling up my spam folder since originally I had marked them as spam. The only way I can get them into trash is by running the TB filter for that email manually
love10001212

Post by love10001212 »

Ok something new just happened (I didn't change any settings yet) - I opened TB and I saw two spams go to trash,but they are marked NEW and have the 2 in that folder - ahh. So I STILL see them all adding up an now with the added benefit of a bold number showing how many in a new folder lol

If I'm seeing it happen when I open TB, does that mean the gmail filter is not working but the TB one is?
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

If I'm seeing it happen when I open TB, does that mean the gmail filter is not working but the TB one is?
Yes, it does.
love10001212

Post by love10001212 »

OK, what am I doing wrong - it seems I want to do the opposite of what I'm doing now. Does this look correct?

Matches: from:(scholarship@hostgator.com) has:attachment -in:chats
Do this: Delete it

22 more just came in! This is relentless :(
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

I can't answer that confidently without having a message to see the headers. Not sure whether the "-in:chats" or "has:attachement" is necessary. Why not block that particular address in Gmail on the same settings display as the filter creation?
love10001212

Post by love10001212 »

I put the email in create filter, filter from - within gmail and that's what resulted.

In gmail, It says email from blocked addresses will go to spam, which is exactly what happens now. I want them to go to trash. The filter allows me to direct to trash, but it seems not to be working
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Sorry, I can't speak to the functionality of Gmail's filters. I haven't had occasion to use them.