Trouble sending email w/52.4.0

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
skuddle

Trouble sending email w/52.4.0

Post by skuddle »

I have a very similar problem - can receive but cannot send. This happens on three different computers. If I go directly to my Spectrum ISP's webmail, then I can send and receive. And if I use Win 10 Mail I can send--receiving takes about 10 minutes however. Go figger...
* HP Pavilion Desktop 510-p114
* Windows 10 Home 22H2 19045.4046
* Firefox 123; Thunderbird 115.8
DanRaisch

Re: Trouble sending email w/52.4.0

Post by DanRaisch »

skuddle, I split your post from its original location because there was a significant difference from the OP's in that topic: They were not using Spectrum as their ISP,

What is the exact text of the error message you get when trying to send messages?
What security software is running on that system?

Note that being able to send and receive through the provider's webmail is not really a test of an email client because you are then not using the same servers as when using Thunderbird or another client.
skuddle

Post by skuddle »

I'm sorry for not replying to you sooner. Please accept my apologies.

I can't recall the exact text but it stated that STARTTLS was not recognized by the mail server. After trying several things, I received a message stating:

"An error occurred while sending mail: The mail server sent an incorrect greeting: Cannot connect to SMTP server 68.114.188.95 (68.114.188.95:587), connect error 10060"

I had been using AVG Free but a few days ago I changed to Norton. I tried disabling AVG but that did not help.

During my troubleshooting I was not able to find my thunderbird profile. Don't know what happened to it. Did a search of the entire C: and D: drives but alas, no profile.

I know that being able to send and receive via web mail doesn't mean one can send and receive through an email client. When I told that to the techs at Spectrum I just got a dead silence, then "Well, if it works on our webmail server then you should use that. Otherwise, we cannot help you."

I think I'll wait a month or so and then reinstall Thunderbird on the Win 10 computer and see what happens. I sure hope I can get TB working again cuz Win 10 email sucks. Big time.
skuddle

Post by skuddle »

I found the solution to the problem TB has (had) not being able to send email.

This problem has been resolved.

On December 8 I checked for Thunderbird problems and found that version 52.5 was out. It had a reference to Spectrum email. I installed that version and lo and behold, TB could then send email. Next I installed it on the other Windows 10 computer that that computer could then send emails.

Because the problem began only a few hours after I successfully sent the last email, I suspect that Spectrum (Charter) had made some kind of change during that time that caused TB to fail when sending email.

Hooray for Spectrum! Always and constantly fooking something up with their TV, phone, and internet service.
makaiguy

Post by makaiguy »

skuddle wrote:... I suspect that Spectrum (Charter) had made some kind of change during that time that caused TB to fail when sending email...
Happens all the time, with many mail services, especially those provided by an ISP. If you're lucky it's just a temporary problem that they fix fairly quickly. In some cases, they've changed the parameters necessary to connect to their server without warning their users first.
Doug Wilson
Win10 64bit: FF 115.0.02 64bit, TB 102.12.0 32-bit ║ Android 13/10: FF 115.2.0/115.0.1 ║ No TB for Android available, dammit!
What a fool believes he sees, no wise man has the power to reason away - Doobie Brothers
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

they've changed the parameters necessary to connect to their server without warning their users first.
And sometimes without telling their first tier customer support staff, as well.
skuddle

Post by skuddle »

DanRaisch wrote:
they've changed the parameters necessary to connect to their server without warning their users first.
And sometimes without telling their first tier customer support staff, as well.
As is most likely the case with Spectrum. Too bad that the email customer is the one who has to suffer because of vendors' poor practices and shabby attitudes. :(