Not responding

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
RD100AL

Not responding

Post by RD100AL »

Hi,

Have been running Thunderbird for many years without problem ( XP 32bit ) Today after launching, messages downloaded then froze / not responding. tried closing / opening, safe mode, leaving it to sort itself out etc

Alas totally frozen

Phoned a techie and was told it's because XP no longer supported by MS

Any ideas greatly appreciated
skuddle

Re: Not responding

Post by skuddle »

Sorry, I don't have any ideas for you.

On November 11, 2017, my Thunderbird (which I've been using since January 2017) stopped sending email (I could receive okay). I have two more computers and both had the same problem. I tried quite a few things (reinstalling, different server data, etc.) but nothing helped. Called my provider (Spectrum) and they told me they only support their web-based email. After 3 days of troubleshooting I gave up and am now using my old Vista computer for email. Nothing changed from the last time I could send mail to the first time I couldn't, and that was only after 6 hours.
* HP Pavilion Desktop 510-p114
* Windows 10 Home 22H2 19045.4291
* Firefox 124; Thunderbird 115.8
DanRaisch

Re: Not responding

Post by DanRaisch »

RD100AL wrote:Hi,

Have been running Thunderbird for many years without problem ( XP 32bit ) Today after launching, messages downloaded then froze / not responding. tried closing / opening, safe mode, leaving it to sort itself out etc

Alas totally frozen

Phoned a techie and was told it's because XP no longer supported by MS

Any ideas greatly appreciated
What version of Thunderbird?
How is the account set up in Thunderbird, as POP or IMAP? Find out using menu path Tools->Account Settings->Server Settings->Server Type at the top right of the dialogue.