incredible slowness TB 57 - possibe solution?

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
bizpubs

incredible slowness TB 57 - possibe solution?

Post by bizpubs »

A loud drumbeat recently around the worldly webs about how slow Thunderbird has become. (Points all well taken, BTW.) Mozilla has cut off some of the message boards apparently because they have become too critical, including the No. One board that comes up when you search the problem on Google.

The problem of course is real, it is pervasive, and it is maddening. And Mozilla not even acknowledging it (much less fixing it) is a source of cynicism and defection.

But here is one possible workaround. I said solution in the headline, but that's not exactly true. For reasons unrelated to Thunderbird, I had occasion to change the drive on which I store certain data including Mozilla. The old drive showed no erratic behavior other than the Thunderbird glitch. All other files stored on it, including images, did their job swiftly. (These were the data files only. The program itself remains where it has always been, on a different drive.)

In installing the new drive, I merely dumb-copied all my stuff from the old data storage drive to the new data storage drive -- and aha! It works well.

Yes, just putting the same bits/bytes on a different drive worked. FYI, the old drive was a Western WD1002FBY8. The replacement is a Toshiba 1TB DT01AC.
malliz
Folder@Home

Re: incredible slowness TB 57 - possibe solution?

Post by malliz »

Ever heard of the KISS principle? You have a hardware problem and you morph it into some sort of conspiracy theory rant nice going
What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
"Terry Pratchett"
Mouse5

Post by Mouse5 »

bizpubs wrote:A loud drumbeat recently around the worldly webs about how slow Thunderbird has become. (Points all well taken, BTW.) Mozilla has cut off some of the message boards apparently because they have become too critical, including the No. One board that comes up when you search the problem on Google.

The problem of course is real, it is pervasive, and it is maddening. And Mozilla not even acknowledging it (much less fixing it) is a source of cynicism and defection.

But here is one possible workaround. I said solution in the headline, but that's not exactly true. For reasons unrelated to Thunderbird, I had occasion to change the drive on which I store certain data including Mozilla. The old drive showed no erratic behavior other than the Thunderbird glitch. All other files stored on it, including images, did their job swiftly. (These were the data files only. The program itself remains where it has always been, on a different drive.)

In installing the new drive, I merely dumb-copied all my stuff from the old data storage drive to the new data storage drive -- and aha! It works well.

Yes, just putting the same bits/bytes on a different drive worked. FYI, the old drive was a Western WD1002FBY8. The replacement is a Toshiba 1TB DT01AC.
TB57 is a BETA , not final, stay with 52ESR
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

A number of add-ons also break in TB 57 due to interface changes. Some of them might get fixed by the time 57 is released as a production version.
WaltS48

Post by WaltS48 »

tanstaafl wrote:A number of add-ons also break in TB 57 due to interface changes. Some of them might get fixed by the time 57 is released as a production version.
The next production version is 59.0. Thunderbird follows the Firefox ESR schedule.

It looks like TB 58.0b1 will be released today.

https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbi ... easenotes/
Linux Desktop - AMD Athlon(tm) II X3 455 3.3GHz | 8.0GB RAM | GeForce GT 630
Windows Notebook - AMD A8 7410 2.2GHz | 6.0GB RAM | AMD Radeon R5
wsmwk

Post by wsmwk »

> Mozilla has cut off some of the message boards apparently because they have become too critical, including the No. One board that comes up when you search the problem on Google.

You're probably seeing the old stupport from early 2017. That's gone. No conspiracy.

> For reasons unrelated to Thunderbird, I had occasion to change the drive on which I store certain data including Mozilla. The old drive showed no erratic behavior other than the Thunderbird glitch.

For starters you don't have your data on the c: drive, so you cannot expect it to perform optimally unless you fix the things you break when you move the data.
a) make sure your AV is not scanning it
b) make sure Windows 10 is not indexing it
c) make sure you have "Allow Windows Search to search messages" disabled in Thunderbird

Further, TB57 does have some performance issues that version 52 does not. One hopefully is fixed in 58. On top of that, some users experience performance issues on windows 10 if windows indexing is enabled.

If you still have trouble after addressing all of the above, Start *Windows'* safe mode with networking enabled
- win10 https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/hel ... -safe-mode
Still In Windows safe mode, start thunderbird in safe mode
- https://support.mozilla.org/kb/safe-mode-thunderbird

Does problem go away?