Attachment Extractor question

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
Emale

Attachment Extractor question

Post by Emale »

Hello:
NOOB here. I know Attachment Extractor is not actually a Mozilla product, but if anyone here can help me with a problem, I would be very appreciative.

Seems like the manual extraction(right click on email, choose Extract from Selected Messages) works fine. But, when I change Attachment Extractor to AUTOMATIC EXTRACTION, I keep getting generic errors. I think I have it narrowed down to the following situation...

Thunderbird client checks for new emails at most only once per minute(that's the lowest setting available)
When only one email to be extracted from is waiting in the Thunderbird Inbox queue, AUTOMATIC EXTRACTION is successful.
When more than one email to be extracted from is waiting in the Thunderbird Inbox queue, AUTOMATIC EXTRACTION fails.

The best solution would be to set Thunderbird client to check for new emails at the instant they are received. But, as I have found, Thunderbird will only check for new emails once per minute.

So, the big question is...is there a way to get Attachment Extractor to work in AUTOMATIC EXTRACTION mode when multiple emails are waiting to be extracted?

Thanks in advance for any help,

Thunderbird 52.4.0(32 bit)
Attachment Extractor 1.3.5.1
tanstaafl

Re: Attachment Extractor question

Post by tanstaafl »

See if the FAQ at http://aka-andy.com/attachmentextractor/ae_faq.html helps. You might want to experiment with adding the tag AE via message filters and setting auto-extract to extract messages with those tags. Thats not the intent (is was meant to let you auto-extract a subset) but it uses a different code path so if you are lucky it might workaround your problem.

Try the beta version via the development channel section at the bottom of https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/thunde ... extractor/ . It is missing some features but might work better.

It sounds like you are using a POP account. You might want to experiment with using a IMAP account, it has another mechanism for getting notified of new mail (IDLE support, now called allow immediate server notifications when new messages arrive in the server settings) which might not have the same problem. This would only get used after the initial startup check for new mail.

A POP and IMAP account for the same mailbox and mail server can co-exist. What you do in one account will effect the other account though.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

See http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... #p14782635 for an alternative approach using FiltaQuilla
Emale

Post by Emale »

Thanks for the replies.

After researching this farther, it seems as though Attachment Extractor only works with Thunderbird 2.x through 16.x

That is probably why the generic errors are occurring with the AUTOEXTRACT option.

Since the creator of Attachment Extractor seems to be out of business, I will have to think of another way to accomplish this directive.

The FiltaQuilla sounds promising.

Thanks again.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

The development channel version of the attachment extractor formally supports version 23 and might work with later versions if you edited the max version in the manfest file. However, it might break in future versions of Thunderbird since its not being maintained. Its been over 6 years. FiltaQuilla is a safer bet.