Can't Print Emails

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
OldMole

Can't Print Emails

Post by OldMole »

With TB 52.5.0 (64 bit) and Mac OS 10.10.5 (Yosemite) I am unable to print email messages. The print dialog appears, but I cannot open an email as a pdf message in Preview. Neither can I get the message to print out as a PDF or to save as a PDF file. I'm getting no error message; things just don't seem to work.

This still happens when I open TB in safe mode.

The printer is an HP OfficeJet Pro 8740. Printing test pages from the computer is not a problem, and AFAIK printing from other apps is not either.

Please help!
DanRaisch

Re: Can't Print Emails

Post by DanRaisch »

OK, I don't use a Mac so maybe I'm confused here but how is a physical printer involved if you are trying to "print out as a PDF"? That would generate a PDF format file, not a paper print out.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

Are you choosing the right printer queue? Windows 10 for example has a built-in printer queue for "Microsoft Print to PDF". Thunderbird might have defaulted to the wrong one, due to that being the printer queue used last time.

See http://osxdaily.com/2010/05/21/how-to-p ... in-mac-os/
"Look for the “PDF” button in the lower left corner, click on that pull-down menu, and select “Save as PDF”" - appears to let you print as PDF without specifying any printer queue.

If none of this helps see what happens if you save the message using file -> save as -> file, exit Thunderbird, and print that file to PDF normally.
OldMole

Post by OldMole »

Don't know exactly what happened. Maybe it was a restart. But things seem to be working now. Sorry for the inconvenience.