Are there global settings for column selection?

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
FrankSMS

Are there global settings for column selection?

Post by FrankSMS »

I have several email accounts and several RSS feeds. In the default view there are many columns that I disable after I set up the account. It would be great if I could have all new accounts abide by the same column setting. Is this possible?
tanstaafl

Re: Are there global settings for column selection?

Post by tanstaafl »

If you left click on the weird looking little square widget at the far right of the mail folder listings column headers (just above the vertical scroll bar) it has a "Apply columns to.." setting at the very bottom. You can tell it to apply those setting to the current folder and any child folders.

I don't use a RSS account so I'm not sure but suspect it has a similar feature.

I'm not aware of a way to set those settings globally without using the config editor. The other problem is those type of global settings are typically for changing the default, and the default is only used for new accounts. Your accounts already exist. It would take you much longer to discover what settings to edit in the config editor than to just set it for each account using the normal user interface.

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Mail_and_news_settings
FrankSMS

Post by FrankSMS »

Thank you. That's a good start. I've already dialed in previous accounts anyway.
But I'm unclear as to how this affects future accounts. Isn't the "children" subfolders of the account that I'm setting up?
Also, what is the difference between "Folder" and "Folder and its children"? In both cases all my email accounts are displayed identically.
How does one set the default layout?
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

"folder" only effects the current selected folder. "folder and its children" effects both the currently selected folder and any child (and grandchildren, great grand children ....) folders.

Supposedly the set default columns add-on at https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/thunde ... t-columns/ will let you change the default column settings. Note that one of the comments was "There is no configuration UI, it is done by editing a comma-separated list variable in about:config." Keep in mind that setting the default probably will not effect any existing folders until you explicitly set "reset columns to default" for those folders.